Maximizing Income: Algebra II Problem Solving Tips

• Thread starter Superstring
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Income
I remember this stuff now. I really appreciate it!In summary, the conversation discussed a problem involving a company making two models of light fixtures, A and B. The time required to assemble model A is 12 minutes and model B takes 18 minutes. It takes 2 minutes to package model A and 1 minute to package model B. The company has 240 hours of assembly time and 20 hours for packaging each week. The objective is to determine the maximum weekly income by making an optimal amount of each model. The problem is an example of a linear programming question, where the objective function is the income and the constraints are the available assembly and packaging time. The optimal solution can be found by graphing the feasible region formed by the
Superstring

Homework Statement

A company makes two models of light fixtures, A and B, each of which must be assembled and packed. The time required to Assemble model A is 12 minutes, and model B takes 18 minutes. It takes 2 minutes to package model A and 1 minute to package model B. Each week there are an available 240 hours of assembly time and 20 hours for packaging.

If model A sells for $1.50 and model B sells for $1.70, how many of each model should be made to obtain the maximum weekly income?

Homework Equations

I remember doing problems like this in Algebra II last year. Unfortunately, I completely forget how to set up problems like this.

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't think of a way to solve it. I don't have my notes from last year either :frown:.

All I really need is the method to solving this type of problem.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi Superstring! Welcome to PF! :smile:
Superstring said:
A company makes two models of light fixtures, A and B, each of which must be assembled and packed. The time required to Assemble model A is 12 minutes, and model B takes 18 minutes. It takes 2 minutes to package model A and 1 minute to package model B. Each week there are an available 240 hours of assembly time and 20 hours for packaging.

If model A sells for $1.50 and model B sells for $1.70, how many of each model should be made to obtain the maximum weekly income?

Basically, just say that there are a of A, and b of B, calculate the profit, and find an equation that specifies "Each week there are an available 240 hours of assembly time and 20 hours for packaging" :wink:

This is an example of something called a Linear Programming Question. You are being asked to optimize (in this case maximize) income, which will become the objective function. You are given two features (assembling and packing) that will form constrainsts on the variables. Since these quantities represent physical objects then their number must be non-negative.

If you let a be the number of units of type A, and similarly for b, then we get:

Objective function: [itex]\text{Income}=1.5a+1.7b[/itex]

Constraints:

Assembly: [itex]12a+18b\leq 240(60)=14,400[/itex]

Packing: [itex]a+2b \leq 20(60)=1200[/itex]

Practical: [itex] x,y \geq 0 [/itex]

(Note there are 60 minutes in an hour - watch your units.)

Graphing the constraints in the xy-plane will form a "freasible region," the corners of which are the only candidates for being optimal solutions (maximal in this case).

Graph the region.
Find the corners.
Test the corners in the objective function.
Determine the optimal solution point.
Answer the question.

I hope this helps.

--Elucidus

Last edited:
Elucidus said:
This is an example of something called a Linear Programming Question. You are being asked to optimize (in this case maximize) income, which will become the objective function. You are given two features (assembling and packing) that will form constrainsts on the variables. Since these quantities represent physical objects then their number must be non-negative.

If you let a be the number of units of type A, and similarly for b, then we get:

Objective function: [itex]\text{Income}=1.5a+1.7b[/itex]

Constraints:

Assembly: [itex]12a+18b\leq 240(60)=14,400[/itex]

Packing: [itex]a+2b \leq 20(60)=1200[/itex]

Practical: [itex] x,y \geq 0 [/itex]

(Note there are 60 minutes in an hour - watch your units.)

Graphing the constraints in the xy-plane will form a "freasible region," the corners of which are the only candidates for being optimal solutions (maximal in this case).

Graph the region.
Find the corners.
Test the corners in the objective function.
Determine the optimal solution point.
Answer the question.

I hope this helps.

--Elucidus

Thank you so much. You made it all come back to me.

1. What is the purpose of maximizing income in Algebra II?

The purpose of maximizing income in Algebra II is to use mathematical principles to determine the best way to increase income and profits. This can involve solving equations and inequalities to find the optimum value for a given situation.

2. How do you identify a maximizing income problem in Algebra II?

A maximizing income problem in Algebra II typically involves determining the maximum value of a function or expression. This can be identified by key phrases such as "maximum profit" or "maximum revenue". It may also involve constraints or limitations that need to be considered in the solution.

3. What are some common strategies for solving maximizing income problems in Algebra II?

Some common strategies for solving maximizing income problems in Algebra II include using the derivative to find critical points, setting up and solving systems of equations, and using graphical methods such as finding the vertex of a parabola. It is important to carefully analyze the given problem and choose the most appropriate method for solving it.

4. Can maximizing income problems in Algebra II be solved without using mathematical equations?

Yes, there are some situations where maximizing income problems in Algebra II can be solved using logical reasoning or trial and error methods. However, using mathematical equations and principles can provide a more accurate and efficient solution.

5. How can the solutions to maximizing income problems in Algebra II be used in real life?

The solutions to maximizing income problems in Algebra II can be applied in real life situations such as determining the best pricing strategy for a business, optimizing production levels, or finding the maximum profit for a given investment. These skills are also useful in decision making and problem solving in various fields such as economics, finance, and engineering.