1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problem Verifing Identities in Trig

1. Mar 6, 2008 #1
    Hello this one has stumped me for about a day and I have tried several different approaches. maybe someone could point me in the right direction.
    cot^2x-1/1+cot^2x=2Cos^2x-1

I startedon the Left side tring to prove the equation.

cot^2x-1/csc^2x using Pyth. Theory

(cot^2x/csc^2x)-(1/csc^2x) reciprocal Identites

((cos^2x/sin^2x)/csc^2x)-(sin^2x) reciprocal Identites

(cos^2x/sin^2x)*(sin^2x)-(sin^2x) //sin^2x will cancel outleaving

cos^2x - sin^2x this does not = 2Cos^2x -1

Could somone point me in the right direstion .Thank s in advanced Rada3b

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 6, 2008 #2
    Are you sure that

[tex]\cos^2x - \sin^2x = 2\cos^2x - 1[/tex]

is not a true statement? What is 1 equal to in terms of trig identities?

4. Mar 7, 2008 #3
    You are correct it is not. I was trying to prove that the equation on the left is = to the equation on the right in the begining of the post. Could I simplify the equation on the right anymore that might = cos^2x -sin^2x??

5. Mar 7, 2008 #4

Gib Z

Homework Helper

Yes you can, but taking Tedjins hint =] Ill make it a tiny bit more obvious - Pythagorean identities?

6. Mar 7, 2008 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

"You are correct it is not"? Tedjn was not telling you it is not true! He was suggesting that you check your assumption that it is not true again! Specifically, what do you get if you replace [itex]sin^2(x)[/itex] on the left side by [itex]1- cos^2(x)[/itex]?

7. Mar 7, 2008 #6
    Have you learned about the power reduction formulas yet? It looks easier by using those to me.

8. Mar 8, 2008 #7
    No, we haven't learned the power reduction formula but it sounds alot easier Hydrargyrum. I will look into it and continue trying. I did sub Pi/4 in for x on both side ofthe equation and yes they are =. So back to proving again, Thanks EV1 for the help.

9. Mar 8, 2008 #8

Gib Z

Homework Helper

Would you PLEASE listen to any of our hints? The power reduction formulas come from what we are trying to tell you. I don't see why our hint, which has become more so an obvious instruction, is so hard to execute?

10. Mar 8, 2008 #9
    Thank you all. I was on the right track.I must be just overstressed atm not to see something so obvious. I got it now.

11. Mar 9, 2008 #10
    Sorry. I didn't read your posts

12. Mar 9, 2008 #11
    what are the three most basic formulas for proving trig equations?

blank+blank=1
    1-blank=blank
    1-blank=blank

13. Mar 24, 2008 #12
    L= cot^2x-1/csc^2x =cot^2x/csc^2x -1/csc^2x =(cos^2x/sin^2x)/(1/sin^2x)-sin^2x=cos^2x-sin^2x=cos^2x-(1-cos^2x)=cos^2x-1+ cos^2x=2cos^2x-1=R

Everybody gave you hints. Its been a while now. This should be your answer. Please correct if I am wrong.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?