Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problem with air core transformer

1. Aug 2, 2009 #1
    I have two inductors, one as a primary and the other as the secondary. I am trying to transfer the radio signal from the primary inductor to the secondary inductor. But I am getting no signal on the secondary inductor. The radio signal is a voltage signal with very little current. The inductors are toroidal with iron cores. Placed in series to one another. Can someone tell me where I'm going wrong.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 2, 2009 #2
    If I understand this correctly, you have two separate toroidal inductors and want to couple RF from one to the other?

4. Aug 2, 2009 #3
    yes, is that possible.

5. Aug 2, 2009 #4
    Two toroids placed near each other will have very little coupling. The lion's share of magnetic flux remains within a toroid. That's its purpose. You must place both windings on the same toroid to make a transformer. there are several other things to consider, as well: impedance, core material characterisitcs (mainly frequency response), core saturation, inter-winding capacitance, wire resistance, to name a few. Neglecting to understand any of those can make your transformer unusable.

6. Aug 2, 2009 #5
    Thank you for the help. I really appreciate it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook