1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problem with Bernoulli's equation

1. Oct 25, 2013 #1
    (1)

Hey everyone,

I'm only having trouble with part (b) of this problem. I attached a picture of the problem and its diagram.

(2)

x=vt
    the x(t) kinematics equations
    Bernoulli's equation

(3)

I set the equations for distance as equal:

2√(y1(y2-y1))=2√(y1'(y2-y1'))

But I don't think this can be solved for y1'. I also have a feeling that I may have to use the quadratic equation but I'm not sure exactly how.

Thanks for the help.

Attached Files:

• eq.jpg
      eq.jpg
      File size:
      20.5 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2013 #2

462chevelle

Gold Member

mathematically you should just be able to distribute the y1 through the parenthesis, then get rid of the radical(provided that is what that symbol is), then solve the quadratic problem. but I cannot tell you if your physics formula is correct. ive not worked with bernoullis other than conceptual problems.

4. Oct 25, 2013 #3

gneill

Staff: Mentor

The leading 2's cancel on each side. Then square each side. Should make life simpler for you.

5. Oct 25, 2013 #4
    That simplifies to:

y1y2-y1^2=y1'y2-y1'^2

Now here is where I'm stuck. I'm not sure how to use this with the quadratic equation or solve for y1'.

6. Oct 25, 2013 #5

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Well, everything but y1' are constants. Move everything to one side and sort it into the standard form of a quadratic.

7. Oct 25, 2013 #6
    Found the answer, thanks for the help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted