Problem with Complex Second Order Equations

In summary, the conversation discusses solving the non-homogeneous equation y'' - 2y' + 2y = e^{t}cos(t). One person solves the homogenous version and gets roots 1 +/- i, while the other person suggests using Lagrange's method or the method of variation of constants. It is eventually determined that the particular solution must be of the form Ax e^x sin(x) + Bx e^x cos(x), and after equating coefficients, the general solution is found to be y(x) = c_1 e^x cos(x) + c_2 e^x sin(x) + (1/2) x e^x sin(x). The conversation ends with one person
Lyuokdea
Ok, this one is really sticking me up:

[tex]y'' - 2y' + 2y = e^{t}cos(t)[/tex]

I solved the homogenous version and got roots 1 +/- i and put these into get the equation

[tex]y_h = c_1e^tcos(t) + c_1e^tsin(t)[/tex]

And I found that the root for e^tcos(t) should be (D- (1 +/- i)

But I'm completely stuck on what to do after this, the part that really confuses me is that in the answer, they only have a e^t sin(t) factor in the answer in addition to the normal homogenous answer, why does sin(t) appear without cos(t) ?

Thanks for your help,

~Lyuokdea

Physics news on Phys.org
Did u try to apply Lagrange's method...?

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
Did u try to apply Lagrange's method...?

Daniel.

I don't believe so, I don't think we were ever taught about that, is there another way to solve it? Maybe we called it something different. I'll go back and look through my notes

~Lyuokdea

Search for "Method of Variation of Constants" or "Method of Lagrange"...

Daniel.

ok, I got it, thanks

You should be able to do this by basic "undetermined coefficients".

Normally, if you have "right hand side" like etcos(t), you would try
y= et(Acos(t)+ Bsin(t)).

However, here, functions of that form already satisfy the homogenous equation and can't give you anything but 0 on the right side.

Okay, so you multiply by t:
try y= ett(Acos(t)+ Bsin(t)).

The rest is cranking away.

You guys mind if I finish up? He's gone to something else I think. You know school and all:

[tex]y'' - 2y' + 2y = e^{t}cos(t)[/tex]

Because the RHS is a particular solution of a linear ODE, namely:

[tex] (D^2-2D+2)y=0 [/tex]

can apply this operator to both side of non-homogeneous eq. to collapse the RHS:

[tex] (D^2-2D+2)(D^2-2D+2)y=0 [/tex]

Since the solution to this equation is:

[tex]y=c_1e^x\cos(x)+c_2e^x\sin(x)+Axe^x\sin(x)+Bxe^x\cos(x) [/itex]

then the particular solution to the non-homogeneous equation must be of the form:

[tex]y_p=Axe^x\sin(x)+Bxe^x\cos(x) [/tex]

Substituting this equation into the non-homogeneous equation and equating coefficients, we find B=0 and A=1/2.

Thus the general solution is:

[tex] y(x)=c_1e^x\cos(x)+c_2e^x\sin(x)+\frac{1}{2}xe^x\sin(x)[/tex]

Using [itex]c_1=1[/itex] and [itex]c_2=0[/itex], I plotted a graph of the solution which is attached.

Attachments

• dif4.JPG
    dif4.JPG
    4.8 KB · Views: 429

What is a complex second order equation?

A complex second order equation is an equation that contains complex numbers and has a second degree (or quadratic) polynomial expression. It can be written in the form ax^2 + bx + c = 0, where a, b, and c are complex numbers and x is the variable.

What makes solving complex second order equations challenging?

Complex second order equations can be challenging to solve because they involve complex numbers, which have both real and imaginary components. This means that the solutions to the equation may also be complex numbers, making it more difficult to find the roots or solutions.

What are some common methods for solving complex second order equations?

Some common methods for solving complex second order equations include factoring, completing the square, using the quadratic formula, and graphing. These methods can be applied to both real and complex numbers to find the solutions to the equation.

How can I graph a complex second order equation?

To graph a complex second order equation, you will need to plot points on a complex plane. The real part of the complex number will be plotted on the x-axis, and the imaginary part will be plotted on the y-axis. The solutions to the equation will be the points where the graph intersects the x-axis.

What are some real-world applications of complex second order equations?

Complex second order equations have many real-world applications, including in engineering, physics, and economics. They can be used to model systems that involve oscillations, such as pendulums or electronic circuits. They are also used in finding optimal solutions in game theory and in predicting the behavior of financial markets.