Problem with Lagrange's Equations

• Thread starter Erland
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with differentiating expressions involving generalized coordinates in Goldstein's "Classical Mechanics." The problem arises when trying to differentiate \dot x wrt \dot q, as the expression for \dot x only has one independent variable (time) and therefore it shouldn't make sense to differentiate wrt any other variable. It is argued that in order to differentiate wrt \dot q, \dot x (and similarly L) must be viewed as composite functions. The conversation also mentions that this problem is not discussed in Goldstein and the speaker has not seen it mentioned anywhere else. However, it is possible to solve this problem by recognizing that the function v=v(q, \dot q, t) must be
Erland
Science Advisor
I have problem with Lagrange's equations and their derivation, the way it is presented in Goldstein's "Classical Mechanics". I have never seen this problem mentioned anywhere, so I wonder if I am the only one who see this problem.

To see the problem, consider a simple case where the motion of a system can be described by just one generalized coordinate [itex]q[/itex], plus time explicitly. Let [itex]x[/itex] be a cartesian coordinate of one particle of the system. Then [itex]x=x(q,t)[/itex].
Then, [tex]\dot x=\frac{\partial x}{\partial q}\dot q+ \frac{\partial x}{\partial t}.[/tex]
(In Goldstein we have several generalized coordinates, but the reasoning is the same.)

Now, reasoning as Goldstein, we could without problem differentiate [itex]\dot x[/itex] wrt [itex]\dot q[/itex], obtaining [itex]\partial \dot x / \partial \dot q =\partial x/\partial q[/itex], and also plug in [itex]\dot q [/itex] in the expression for the total kinetic energy [itex]T[/itex] and the Lagrangian [itex]L=T-V[/itex], and then without problem differentiate [itex]L[/itex] wrt [itex]\dot q[/itex], obtaning Lagrange's Equations (one for each generalized coordinate):
[tex]\frac d {dt}\frac{\partial L}{\partial\dot q}-\frac{\partial L}{\partial q}=0. [/tex]
(Differentiating [itex]L[/itex] wrt [itex]q[/itex] seems to be no problem, either.)

But how can we differentiate [itex]\dot x[/itex] (and then [itex]L[/itex]) wrt [itex]\dot q[/itex]? In the formula we obatined for [itex]\dot x[/itex], we have only one indepentent variable: [itex]t[/itex], and therefore it shouldn't make sense to differentiate wrt any other variable.

To be able to differentiate wrt [itex]\dot q[/itex], we must actually view [itex]\dot x[/itex] (and similarly, [itex]L[/itex]) as a composite function, [itex]\dot x= f(q,\dot q,t) [/itex], where [itex]f(u_1,u_2,u_3)=g_1(u_1,u_3)u_2+g_2(u_1,u_3)[/itex] and [itex]g[/itex] is the function which gives the coordinate transformation: [itex]x=x(q,t)=g(q,t)[/itex], and [itex]f[/itex] and [itex]g[/itex] can be differentiated wrt any of their arguments. ([itex]g_1[/itex] and [itex]g_2[/itex] are the partial derivatives of [itex]g[/itex].)
The expression [itex]\partial \dot x /\partial \dot q[/itex] will then make sense if we recognize it as the same as [itex]f_2(q,\dot q,t)[/itex], and then it will be equal to [itex]\partial x/\partial q[/itex], just as it should be.

However, this will be consistent only if the choice of the function [itex]f[/itex] is unique. If there was another function [itex]h(u_1,u_2,u_3)\ne f(u_1,u_2,u_3)[/itex], which also satisfies [itex]\dot x = h(q,\dot q,t)[/itex], but for which [itex]h_2(q,\dot q,t)\ne f_2(q,\dot q,t)[/itex], then [itex]\partial \dot x/\partial \dot q[/itex] cannot be uniquely defined (and neither can [itex]\partial L/\partial \dot q[/itex]).

This problem is not discussed in Goldstein, and I have not seen it mentioned anywhere (although I did not search very much). Am I really the only person who see this problem?

Fortunately, the problem can be solved. It turns out that the function [itex]f[/itex] above must be unique. The reason is that the equation [itex]\dot x= f(q,\dot q,t) [/itex] must hold for all possible paths [itex]q(t)[/itex], and, for every triplet of values [itex](u_1,u_2.u_3)[/itex], it is always possible to find a path [itex]q(t)[/itex] such that [itex]q(t)=u_1[/itex] and [itex]q'(t)=u_2[/itex], for [itex]t=x_3[/itex]. This implies that [itex]f[/itex] is uniquely determined by the requirement [itex]\dot x= f(q,\dot q,t)[/itex], it must be the function given above. This argument can be generalized to any number of generalized coordinates, and it also follows that [itex]\partial L/\partial \dot q[/itex] will be meaningful and unique.

But it is not trivial to find and prove this. I was very confused when I read Goldstein the first time, and I wondered how on Earth one could differentiate wrt [itex]\dot q[/itex]. It took a while until I found the "proof" above. I think it is the author's job to do this, not the reader's.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Erland, The reason you're confused is that you've made a crucial change in the notation. The aim is to describe the transformation between Cartesian coordinates and generalized coordinates. To do this you need to express x and v in terms of q and q·. The transformation of the position is given by x(q, t). The transformation of the velocity is v(q·, q, t):

v = (∂x/∂q) q· + ∂x/∂t

The mistake you've made is calling the left hand side x·, which it is not.

Bill_K said:
Erland, The reason you're confused is that you've made a crucial change in the notation. The aim is to describe the transformation between Cartesian coordinates and generalized coordinates. To do this you need to express x and v in terms of q and q·. The transformation of the position is given by x(q, t). The transformation of the velocity is v(q·, q, t):

v = (∂x/∂q) q· + ∂x/∂t

The mistake you've made is calling the left hand side x·, which it is not.
But [itex]v=\dot x[/itex], by definition (at least according to Goldstein, 3rd ed, p. 18, eq. 1.46), so I don't understand what difference it makes to use v instead.

The difference is the functional dependence. In the Lagrangian formulation, position and velocity are regarded as independent variables. x(q, t) and x· are functions of two variables q and t, and therefore do not depend on q·. But v(q·, q, t) is a function of three variables and does depend on q·.

Similarly, when you get to the Lagrangian L(q, q·, t) one could argue it's all just a function of one variable q(t). But the functional form is crucial. One must treat q· as an independent variable and L as a function of all three variables.

OK, but then the question arises: what does the functional dependence [itex]v=v(q, \dot q, t)[/itex] look like? The only way to determine this is to use the condition [itex]v(q(t),\dot q(t),t)=\dot x(t)[/itex]. But then, what if there is a different function [itex]w=(q, \dot q,t)[/itex] which also satisfies [itex]w(q(t),\dot q(t),t)=\dot x(t)[/itex], but for which
[itex]\partial v/ \partial \dot q\ne \partial w/\partial\dot q[/itex]. Whch of the two latter quantities is then the correct one to use? There seems to be no way to decide this.
It is therefore important to prove that [itex]v=v(q, \dot q, t)[/itex] is uniquely defined by the condition [itex]v(q(t),\dot q(t),t)=\dot x(t)[/itex]. I do that in my first post, but I think Goldstein (and other textbook writers) should do this job.

1. What are Lagrange's equations?

Lagrange's equations are a set of equations used in classical mechanics to describe the motion of a system. They are based on the principle of least action, which states that a system will follow the path that minimizes the action (a mathematical quantity that represents the total energy of the system).

2. What is the problem with Lagrange's equations?

The problem with Lagrange's equations is that they can become very complex and difficult to solve for more complex systems. This is because they involve solving a set of coupled differential equations, which can be challenging and time-consuming.

3. How are Lagrange's equations derived?

Lagrange's equations are derived using the calculus of variations and the principle of least action. The equations are based on the Lagrangian function, which is a mathematical expression that represents the total energy of the system.

4. Can Lagrange's equations be applied to any system?

Yes, Lagrange's equations can be applied to any system, as long as the system can be described by a set of generalized coordinates and a Lagrangian function can be defined for it. This makes them a powerful tool in classical mechanics for analyzing a wide range of systems.

5. Are there any limitations to using Lagrange's equations?

One limitation of Lagrange's equations is that they do not account for dissipative forces, such as friction, which can be important in certain systems. Additionally, they are only applicable in classical mechanics and do not take into account the effects of quantum mechanics.