How can I improve my abstract thinking in real analysis?

In summary, the conversation discusses the challenges of studying real analysis and how to approach it by gaining an intuitive understanding of the geometric concepts rather than focusing on rigorous mathematical language. The suggestion is to draw pictures and construct counterexamples in order to better understand the theorems.
geoman
Im currently taking an introduction to real analysis class and here's the problem. I do very well with all the math I've encountered before this. I'm really not doing well with the abstract nature of real analysis. I'm having trouble proving things in general because of the fact that i have choices in the way i prove them. I guess I am just not a very abstract thinker and I'm wondering if anyone has had the same problem and has a suggestion as to how i can study differently or w/e

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The only way to study analysis is to get an intuitive grasp of it. This was supposed to be what calculus was all about too, but then that went to hell and calculus became about evaluating integrals instead of actually learning the concepts, which are really the only thing you need in calculus (since we have TI-89s to do our bidding).

Everything in analysis is very geometric, even though it's taught in rigorous mathematical language. Once you understand the geometric notions, there's really no problem: to solve problems, just solve them geometrically, then convert your thoughts into mathematics. This takes a lot of time to get used to, but after a few months, you'll think it's trivial.

I agree with phreak. In an elementary analysis course, the best way to approach most proofs is to draw a picture or two. Maybe try constructing a counterexample and see why you cannot. Or omit the hypotheses one by one and construct a counterexample for each case, to see why you need every single hypothesis. Once you have an intuitive idea of why a theorem is true, try to convert your thoughts into a rigorous argument. Luckily that's a lot more straight forward in elementary analysis than in a lot of other branches of math.

1. What is real analysis and why is it important?

Real analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of real numbers and their properties. It is important because it provides a rigorous framework for understanding and solving complex mathematical problems in various fields such as physics, economics, and engineering.

2. What are some common challenges or difficulties in learning real analysis?

Some common challenges in learning real analysis include understanding the abstract concepts, mastering the various techniques and proofs, and developing a strong intuition for the subject. It also requires a solid foundation in calculus and mathematical logic.

3. How can I improve my understanding of real analysis?

A good way to improve your understanding of real analysis is to practice solving problems and proofs. It's also helpful to read textbooks and study materials from different authors to gain different perspectives. Additionally, seeking guidance from a mentor or joining a study group can also enhance your understanding.

4. What are some real-world applications of real analysis?

Real analysis has various real-world applications such as in physics to model and analyze systems, in economics to study optimization problems, in computer science for algorithm design and analysis, and in statistics for probability and distribution functions.

5. What are some important theorems and concepts in real analysis?

Some important theorems in real analysis include the Bolzano-Weierstrass theorem, the Intermediate Value theorem, and the Mean Value theorem. Important concepts include limits, continuity, differentiation, and integration.