Problem with the Finite Element Method applied to Electrostatics

In summary, the conversation discusses solving the Poisson equation for temperature problems and electrostatic problems. The code has been tested for temperature problems and works, but there is difficulty in solving it for a line charge. The term "Dirac delta" is unfamiliar and previous methods used for integration along the line are no longer applicable. One person who has experience with electrostatic calculations is unable to provide much help. The questioner then asks for clarification on how to calculate the field of a charged wire near a ground plane.
Alan Lins Alves
Hi!
I have a code that solve the poisson equation for FEM in temperature problems.
I tested the code for temperature problems and it works!

Now i have to solve an Electrostatic problem.
There is the mesh of my problem (img 01).

At the left side of the mesh we have V=0 (potencial).
There is a line charge located in (0.5,0) with charge density λ=1/(4*pi).

The poisson equation for electrostatics is:
7ebcf984-7712-4702-803b-256b121ea07f.jpg

My dificulty is how to solve it for a line charge (what is the best equation for ρ). I used the Dirac delta, and some aproximations for delta function but my code has wrong results.

Attachments

• 01.png
    01.png
    9.2 KB · Views: 385
  • 7ebcf984-7712-4702-803b-256b121ea07f.jpg
    7ebcf984-7712-4702-803b-256b121ea07f.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 613
Engineering news on Phys.org
Anyone can help me?
Please

wow
it's been fifty+ years and the term "Dirac delta" is unfamiliar
and in my day we didn't have computers with precoded solutions .

In slide rule days we'd integrate along the line.

sorry i can't be more help.

old jim

Alan Lins Alves said:
I tested the code for temperature problems and it works
Hi,

then how did you specify a pointlike heat source ?

jim hardy said:
wow
it's been fifty+ years and the term "Dirac delta" is unfamiliar
and in my day we didn't have computers with precoded solutions .

In slide rule days we'd integrate along the line.

sorry i can't be more help.

old jim

Ok,
Thanks old Jim!

BvU said:
Hi,

then how did you specify a pointlike heat source ?

3326OS_06_01F.jpg

This is the Poisson equation for temperature problem.
Note that temperature is in left side of equation.

Attachments

• 3326OS_06_01F.jpg
    3326OS_06_01F.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 428
Alan,
I've done a lot of electrostatic calculations, analytical, numerical and FEA. However, I don't quite understand your question.
Could you elaborate on it? Draw a picture without a mesh to start with.
Are you trying to calculate the field of a charged wire next to a ground plane?

1. What is the Finite Element Method (FEM) and how is it applied to electrostatics?

The Finite Element Method is a numerical technique used to solve problems in engineering and physics. It involves dividing a complex system into smaller, simpler elements and using mathematical equations to approximate the behavior of the system. In electrostatics, FEM is used to solve problems related to the distribution of electric charges and the resulting electric fields.

2. What are some common issues or limitations with using FEM for electrostatics?

One common issue with using FEM for electrostatics is the difficulty in accurately modeling complex geometries. This can lead to errors in the calculation of electric fields. Additionally, FEM may not be suitable for problems involving time-dependent or dynamic systems, as it is a static method.

3. How does the accuracy of FEM in electrostatics compare to other numerical methods?

The accuracy of FEM in electrostatics depends on the mesh size and the quality of the elements used. In general, FEM can provide highly accurate results when a fine mesh is used. However, other numerical methods such as the Finite Difference Method may be more accurate for certain types of problems.

4. Are there any ways to improve the accuracy of FEM for electrostatics?

Yes, there are several techniques that can be used to improve the accuracy of FEM for electrostatics. These include using higher-order elements, refining the mesh, and incorporating adaptive meshing techniques. Additionally, using specialized software and algorithms can also help improve the accuracy of FEM for electrostatics.

5. Can FEM be used for problems involving multiple materials or domains in electrostatics?

Yes, FEM can be used for problems involving multiple materials or domains in electrostatics. However, this can be challenging and may require advanced techniques such as domain decomposition or substructuring to accurately model the different materials and their interfaces.