Problems i just can't conquer.

• Thread starter ph0bolus
  • Start date
In summary, for the first problem, the indefinite integral of (1-cos(6t)/2)dt is 1/2(t-1/6 sin(6t)) + C. For the second problem, the maximum area can be found by setting the derivative of the area equation equal to 0 and solving for x. This will give the dimensions of the region that will maximize the total area.
ph0bolus
1) Find the Indefinite Integral.

(1-cos(6t)/2)dt

I have the first part: 1t-sin (3t^2)
I'm not really sure about the (3t^2) part, then after that I'm lost.

2)A vet has 100ft of fencing to construct 6 dog kennels by building a fence around a rectangular region, and then subdividing into 6 smaller rectangles by placing 5 fences parallel to on of the sides. What dimensions of the region will maximize the total area?

So i made a rectangle, split it up into 6 squares labeling each vertical section "y", and each horizontal section "x"
the perimeter equation would be P=13x+7y. Would the Area be 100ft since that's all he has to work with?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For the first part, are you trying to integrate just the following, because i am a lill bit confused:

[tex]\int\frac{1-cos(6t)}{2}dt[/tex] right??

If so then this is just a tabelar integral since you can rewrite it in the form

[tex]\int\frac{1-cos(6t)}{2}dt=\frac{1}{2}\int dt-\frac{1}{2}\int cos(6t)dt=...?[/tex]

Can you do this part now? if this was what you were asking at first place.

ph0bolus,

See sutupidmath's explanation for your first problem. (I have no idea where [itex]3t^{2}[/itex] came from).

As for your second problem:
100ft of fencing is not area that will be fenced in, but the physical fence. Meaning that your total perimeter will be 100. so one of your equations will be 100=sum(sides). there are 6 divisions on one side and 7 perpendicular divisions, therefore 12x+7y=100. You want to maximize the area so you need an equation for the area: A=side*side or A=y*6x (I chose y as the divisions and x as the sides). Do you see what to do from here?

I think he tried to use the power rule for integrals in the function 'inside' the cos function.

Would the first one be [tex]\frac{1}{2}x[/tex]_[tex]\frac{sin(6t)}{6}[/tex]?

I have in my notes that [tex]\int cos(kx)dx= \frac{sin(kx)}{k}[/tex]+C

For the second i have y=[tex]\frac{100-12x}{7}[/tex]

so the area would A=[tex]\frac{600-72x^{2}}{7}[/tex]

Would i take the derivative of the Area, set the top and bottom to 0 to find the critical points and that's how i find the maximum area?

ph0bolus said:
Would the first one be [tex]\frac{1}{2}x[/tex]_[tex]\frac{sin(6t)}{6}[/tex]?
NOt really! Just be careful to add a constant C, and also make sure to factor 1/2 out.

sutupidmath said:
NOt really! Just be careful to add a constant C, and also make sure to factor 1/2 out.

Factor out the 1/2?

Did you forget about the factor of 1/2 outside the integral?

What would i do with it? just subtract it from the sin(6t)/t?

[tex]\int\frac{1-cos(6t)}{2}dt=\frac{1}{2}\int dt-\frac{1}{2}\int cos(6t)dt=\frac{1}{2}\left(t-\frac{1}{6}sin(6t)\right) +C[/tex]

ph0bolus said:
For the second i have y=[tex]\frac{100-12x}{7}[/tex]

so the area would A=[tex]\frac{600-72x^{2}}{7}[/tex]

Would i take the derivative of the Area, set the top and bottom to 0 to find the critical points and that's how i find the maximum area?

First of all you need to review your arithmetic.

Second, look at the equation for the area now. It's an upside down parabola. For what value of x would the maximum area occur?

Review your notes on optimization if you still don't see it.

1. What are some common problems that are difficult to conquer?

Common problems that are often difficult to conquer include addiction, mental health issues, chronic illness, financial struggles, and relationship conflicts.

2. Why are some problems harder to overcome than others?

Some problems may be harder to overcome due to their complexity, the amount of time they have been present, a lack of resources or support, or the underlying causes and factors involved.

3. How can I approach a problem that seems impossible to conquer?

When facing a problem that seems impossible to conquer, it can be helpful to break it down into smaller, more manageable steps, seek support from others, and focus on developing coping strategies and resilience.

4. Are there certain strategies or techniques that can help with conquering difficult problems?

Yes, some strategies and techniques that can be effective in conquering difficult problems include seeking professional help and guidance, practicing self-care and self-compassion, setting realistic goals, and using problem-solving and coping skills.

5. How can I prevent future problems from becoming too difficult to handle?

One way to prevent future problems from becoming too difficult to handle is to address them early on before they become more complicated. Additionally, practicing self-care, setting boundaries, and seeking support when needed can also help prevent problems from becoming overwhelming.