Can someone me understand this lesson? I tried, but I just can't get it

• Thread starter Dosirak
  • Start date
In summary, the lesson explains how to find the components of vectors and use them to determine the direction and magnitude of the vectors. It also suggests using a diagram to help visualize and keep track of the vectors. The question asks for the components of Vector SP, which can be found by subtracting the components of Vector RS from Vector RP.
Dosirak
The lesson can be found at www.sol-ah.tumblr.com

And also some help with this question please ~

If Vector PQ = [-1 , 4]
Vector RQ = [2 , 1]
Vector RS = [-3 , 2]
what is Vector SP ?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

Is it possible to get a more zoomed in version of the lesson?

A diagram would be best to help you keep track of everything.

Start with a point P, and draw a vector to the point Q. To know which direction you need to roughly point towards, you can get an idea of this by looking at the components of the vector. PQ = [-1,4] which means that from P it heads -1 units in the x direction and 4 units in the y direction, so the vector is pointing in the NW direction and more North than West. Now keep a label of the x and y components of this vector by drawing a right triangle with the hypotenuse being the vector.

For the vector RQ notice that it is equal to -QR, which means you can instead draw QR = [-2,-1]. It's not necessary to do this, and if you can figure out where the point R should be located roughly in order for the vector to point to Q, then I'd say just skip it altogether.

Now do this for the rest of the vectors. Finally, draw the vector SP. Can you determine what its components are?

Dosirak said:
If Vector PQ = [-1 , 4]
Vector RQ = [2 , 1]
Vector RS = [-3 , 2]
what is Vector SP ?

You can write [itex]\vec{PQ} = \vec{OQ} - \vec{OP} = -\hat{i} + 4\hat{j}[/itex]

same for the other two ...

And you need [itex]\vec{SP} = \vec{OP} - \vec{OS}[/itex]

now play a little with equations to get the answer ...

Related to Can someone me understand this lesson? I tried, but I just can't get it

What exactly are you having trouble understanding?

It is important for me to know specifically which part of the lesson you are struggling with in order to provide the most effective help.

Have you tried any additional resources to help you understand the lesson?

Sometimes, different explanations or examples from other sources can help clarify difficult concepts.

What learning strategies have you used in the past that have been successful for you?

Everyone learns differently, so it is helpful to know what methods have worked for you in the past so we can apply them to this lesson.

Are there any specific questions or examples from the lesson that you would like me to go over with you?

It can be helpful to focus on specific parts of the lesson that are causing confusion, rather than trying to understand the entire lesson at once.

Can you explain to me what you do understand about the lesson?

Sometimes, explaining what you already understand can help identify any misunderstandings and provide a starting point for further clarification.