Problems in the installation of TMDlib

In summary, TMDlib is a software library used for the analysis of transverse momentum dependent (TMD) parton distribution functions in high energy physics. However, users have reported several problems during the installation process, such as missing dependencies and compatibility issues with certain operating systems. Additionally, navigating the documentation and understanding the code can be challenging for new users. These issues can hinder the efficient use of TMDlib and require the assistance of experienced users or developers to resolve.
ccnu
I downloaded the TMDlib source package from http://tmdlib.hepforge.org/
and installed it according to the documentation:

./configure --with-lhapdf=/usr/local/share/LHAPDF/
make
make install

All went well, but when I compiled the test code "TMDlib_test.cc" with g++, it didn't work, and the information was that all the functions like TMDlib::TMDalphas, TMDlib::TMDpdf, ... were not defined.

Any one have successfully installed and used the TMDlib? I will be very grateful if someone can tell me what goes wrong and how to make it work.

Regards!

Last edited by a moderator:
Technology news on Phys.org
The problem could be due to missing libraries in your linker path. Make sure that you have all the necessary libraries (like libTMDlib.so) in your linker path, and also make sure that your compiler knows where to find the TMDlib headers. You can check this by running the command "ldd TMDlib_test" to see if it can find the required libraries. If not, then you may need to modify your LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable to include the path to the TMDlib libraries.

If you are using Linux, the most likely cause of your problem is that you didn't specify the correct path for the TMDlib library when compiling the test code. To do this, add the "-L/usr/local/lib" option to the g++ command line:g++ -L/usr/local/lib TMDlib_test.cc -o TMDlib_test -ltmdlibIf you are using macOS, the path to the library may be different. In this case, please check the installation instructions for MacOS on the TMDlib website: http://tmdlib.hepforge.org/installation.html#macos.If the problem persists, please contact the TMDlib developers directly on the hepforge forum: https://hf-forum.hepforge.org/c/tmdlib.

What is TMDlib and why is it important?

TMDlib, or Transverse Momentum Dependent (TMD) library, is a software library designed to provide a comprehensive set of tools for computing TMD distributions in high-energy physics. TMD distributions are essential for understanding the structure of hadrons, such as protons and neutrons. TMDlib is important because it allows for the accurate calculation of these distributions, which are crucial for many theoretical and experimental studies in particle physics.

What are some common problems encountered during the installation of TMDlib?

Some common problems during installation include missing dependencies, compatibility issues with certain operating systems or compilers, and errors in the installation process. These can be resolved by carefully following the installation instructions provided with the library and checking for any updates or patches.

How can I ensure a successful installation of TMDlib?

To ensure a successful installation, it is important to carefully read the installation instructions and make sure all necessary dependencies are installed. It is also recommended to use a compatible operating system and compiler, and to check for any updates or patches that may address known issues.

Are there any alternatives to installing TMDlib?

Yes, there are some pre-compiled versions of TMDlib available for certain operating systems. However, these may not always be the most up-to-date versions and may not be compatible with all systems. It is recommended to follow the official installation process for the most reliable and up-to-date version of TMDlib.

What should I do if I encounter an error during the installation of TMDlib?

If you encounter an error, it is recommended to check the installation instructions and ensure all steps were followed correctly. You can also try restarting the installation process or seeking help from the TMDlib community or developers. It is important to provide detailed information about the error, such as the specific error message and your system configuration, to help with troubleshooting.