Problems that I got wrong and still don't understand

• Thread starter jst
  • Start date
In summary: So your solution was correct, but you may have made a mistake in your calculation.For the last question, the total charge on the half ring is given by Q = lambda*S, where lambda is the charge per length and S is the surface area of the half ring. Integrating over the half ring, we get Q = (lambda)(2*pi*R^2)/2 = (lambda)(pi*R^2). Since the total electric field at the center of curvature is zero, the electric field from the line charge must equal the electric field from the half ring. Setting these two equal, we get (kQ)/(x^2) = (kQ)/(4x^2). Solving for lambda, we get lambda = Q/(
jst
Before my discovery of this forum, I tried to do some homwork with not help...well, I got a few wrong and will be having a quiz soon...so I got to correct a few of my old mistakes :rolleyes:

Homework Statement

Given a uniformly charged arc with radius R and total charge Q. The arc subtends a total angle of 90 degrees. Derive an equation for the total electric field at the center of curvature of this arc in terms of R,Q and the Coulomb constant k.

http://glomawr.com/phy-hw-01-02.jpg

Homework Equations

I'm not sure

The Attempt at a Solution

I put: (kQ^2)/R^2 , which was not the correct answer

Homework Statement

Given: two charge diagrams each consisting of three charges arranged in an equilateral triangle. Each charge has the same magnitude of charge, q. Force directions are labeled A through L spaced at 30 degree intervals. What is the direction of the Coulomb force on charge #3 in Diagram A?

http://glomawr.com/phy-hw-01-04a.jpg

Homework Equations

I put "B" and was correct, but I'm not sure my logic was correct.

Homework Statement

Given two charges aligned horizontally. Initially both charges have an equal charge -q. The electric force on the right charge is shown having a magnitude of one. In the diagrams below changes have been made to the situation. For each diagram A,B, and C, state the relative length of the electric force vector on the right charge.

http://glomawr.com/phy-hw-01-08.jpg

Homework Equations

I put: A half, B 4, C 4

The correct was: A 8, B 4, C half

Homework Statement

Given: Two point charges of charge +q and - q aligned horizontally. The positive charge feels an electrostatic force F. Five points along the horizontal axis are labeled as shown A through E. To what point could a third charge +q be placed so that the net electrostatic force on the positive charge is 3F?

http://glomawr.com/phy-hw-01-09.jpg

Homework Equations

I put A, but the correct answer was B

Homework Statement

Given: Two point charges of charge 7.00 nC and -7.00 nC aligned horizontally. The charges are separated by a distance of 8.00 cm. What is the electric field strength at point B halfway between the charges?

http://glomawr.com/phy-hw-01-10.jpg

Homework Equations

I did:

(8.988*10^9)*(7*10^-9)/(.08/2) +
(8.988*10^9)*(-7*10^-9)/(.08/2)
=0

Which was wrong, the solution was:
.0788 MN/C

Homework Statement

Given a uniformly charged vertical line and a uniformly charged thin half ring with their axes of symmetry aligned horizontally as shown. The total charge on the line is Q. The total length of the line is 2.00 m and the half-ring radius is R = 1.00 m. At a distance x = 1.00 m to the right of the line charge is the center of curvature of the half ring. What is the total charge on the half ring if the total electric field at the center of curvature is zero? (You will need to integrate over the half ring. S = R(theta) and dS = R(dtheta) and dq = (charge per length)(dS)

http://glomawr.com/phy-hw-01-11.jpg

Homework Equations

I some how came up with: 3.84Q

But the solution was: 1.11Q

I appreciate any help with any/all of these.

Thanks,

Jason

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
For the first question, the equation for the total electric field at the center of curvature is E= (kQ)/(2R).For the third question, the correct answer is B because Coulomb's Law states that the force between two charges is in the direction from positive to negative, so the force on charge #3 in Diagram A is in the direction "B".For the fourth question, the correct answer is A: 8, B: 4, and C: 1/2, as the electric force vector will be 8 times as long on A than C. This is because the force between two charges is inversely proportional to the square of their distances, so the electric force vector on A is 8 times as long as the electric force vector on C.For the fifth question, the correct answer is B because the net electrostatic force on the positive charge is 3F when the third charge +q is placed at point B. This is because the net force on the positive charge is the vector sum of the two individual forces, so when the third charge +q is placed at point B, it will equal and cancel out the force from the negative charge, resulting in a net force of 3F on the positive charge.For the sixth question, the equation for the electric field strength at point B is E = (kQ)/(4x^2). Plugging in the given values, you get E = (8.988*10^9)(7*10^-9)/(4*1)^2 = 0.0788 MN/C.

Hello Jason,

I can see that you have put in a lot of effort into your homework and I commend you for that. It is perfectly normal to get some questions wrong and have some doubts while studying. I understand the importance of clear and accurate understanding of concepts in order to solve problems correctly.

Let's take a look at the problems you have mentioned and see if we can clear up your doubts.

1. For the first problem, the correct equation for the electric field at the center of curvature of the arc is given by E = (kQ)/R, where k is the Coulomb constant, Q is the total charge of the arc, and R is the radius of the arc. This can be derived using the formula for the electric field due to a point charge and integrating over the arc. I suggest reviewing the derivation or asking your teacher for clarification if you are still unsure.

2. For the second problem, your logic was correct. The direction of the Coulomb force on charge #3 in Diagram A is indeed "B". This can be seen by considering the direction of the electric field lines due to the charges in the equilateral triangle and using the fact that the Coulomb force is in the direction of the electric field.

3. For the third problem, your answers were incorrect because you misunderstood the question. The question was asking for the relative length of the electric force vector on the right charge, not the magnitude. Therefore, the correct answers are A 8, B 4, C half. I suggest reviewing the concept of electric force and vector components to better understand this problem.

4. For the fourth problem, your answer of A was incorrect because you did not consider the net force on the positive charge. The question is asking for the point where a third charge can be placed so that the net electrostatic force on the positive charge is 3F. This means that the third charge must be placed such that its electric field adds to the electric field due to the two original charges, resulting in a net force of 3F. This can be found by solving for the distance using the formula for electric field due to a point charge.

5. For the fifth problem, your answer was incorrect because you did not consider the distance between the charges correctly. The electric field at point B is given by E = (kq)/r^2, where k is the Coulomb constant, q is the charge of one of

1. Why is it important to understand problems that I got wrong?

Understanding problems that you got wrong is crucial for growth and improvement. By identifying and analyzing your mistakes, you can learn from them and avoid making the same mistakes in the future. This will ultimately lead to a deeper understanding of the subject matter and better performance in future assessments.

2. How can I effectively analyze problems that I got wrong?

The first step in analyzing problems that you got wrong is to carefully review the question and your answer. Identify where you went wrong and try to understand the reasoning behind your mistake. It can also be helpful to seek help from a teacher or tutor who can provide guidance and clarification. Additionally, you can try solving similar problems to reinforce your understanding.

3. What should I do if I still don't understand the problem after analyzing it?

If you still don't understand the problem after analyzing it, don't get discouraged. It's important to keep trying and seek help from a teacher or tutor if needed. Sometimes, a different perspective or explanation can make all the difference. You can also try breaking the problem down into smaller parts and tackling each part individually.

4. Is it okay to make mistakes when learning?

Absolutely! Making mistakes is a natural part of the learning process. It's important to embrace mistakes and use them as opportunities for growth and improvement. Remember, even the most successful scientists and researchers have made mistakes in their careers. What's important is that you learn from your mistakes and continue to strive towards understanding.

5. How can I prevent making the same mistakes in the future?

One way to prevent making the same mistakes in the future is to consistently review and practice problems. This will help reinforce your understanding and identify any recurring mistakes. It can also be helpful to keep a record of your mistakes and the steps you took to correct them. This will serve as a reference for future assessments and help you avoid making the same mistakes again.