Problems with Nuclear Fusion

I'd be very careful. I suspect that the fraction of a Joule of fusion energy that LPP is reporting is probably not net energy gain, but rather the total amount of energy release by fusion. It is still a promising result for dense plasma focus devices. However, it is fairly easy to create fusion. The difficulty is creating more energy out than energy in.
For comparison in 1997 the Joint European Tokamak (JET) generated 22 MJ of fusion power.
About 60 million times more energy than reported for the DPF device.

Noted Wolfman. They need 66 kJoules net fusion for this to work. I do think they have the best chance of any approach I've read about since I started following fusion in 1965. That's per shot.

Last edited:
Roadmaps to achieving commercial fusion have been published. The plan in Europe is to build a large Demonstration power plant (DEMO) device extrapolated from ITER https://www.euro-fusion.org/wpcms/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/JG12.356-web.pdf

Other ideas include smaller more compact spheromaks which would be quicker and cheaper to build but require more advanced plasma physics

PS #2: Are you sure that first commercial fusion power plants will produce cheaper energy than for example fission plants? If to recall that fuel cycle’s cost share in total production cost of 1 kW*h is not so significant for fast neutrons plants. Are you waiting revolution and total happiness at once after achievement of break-even in any fusion approach?
Although a "competitive cost of electricity" is not a mandatory requirement for the step beyond ITER, i.e. DEMO, I guess no one will be interested do design and build a demonstration reactor that is not giving a couple of hundres of MW with a reasonable availability and reliability for a price that will not be similarly to the current fission reactors.

A decade ago studies (e.g. PPCS) stated to run DEMO at an electricity cost similar to wind power. Too optimistic to my taste, but by the own definition of the project, DEMO shall demonstrate the economic feasibility of fusion, contrarily to ITER that shall demonstrate "only" the technical feasibility.