Problems with Proper Length and Proper Time in SR

In summary, proper length and proper time are defined as measurements of an object from the perspective of an observer who is at rest with respect to the object. However, if the observer is in a different reference frame from the object, the measurements will appear length contracted and time dilated. This does not mean that proper length and proper time cancel out, but rather that they are relative to the observer's reference frame. This concept is essential to understanding Einstein's first postulate, which states that the laws of physics should hold in all inertial reference frames.
Yosty22
I have just started studying Special Relativity in class and the concepts of Proper Length and Proper Time are giving me some issues. I understand the basics of length contraction and time dilation, but the idea of this "proper" time and length is giving me problems. One example in particular that was bugging me:

To start, the textbook I have for class defines proper length of an object as: "the length of the object measured by someone who is at rest with respect to the object." That makes sense, but in this example, it confuses me. It goes on to say: "Consider a spaceship traveling with a speed v from one star to another and two observers, one on Earth and the other in a spaceship. The observer at rest on Earth (and also assumed to be at rest with respect to the two stars) measures the distance between the starts to be L_p, where L_p is the proper length."

It continues on to state that the observer on Earth observes the voyage taking Δt to complete and the observer on the ship observes the same journey taking Δt'. This makes sense to me due to time dilation, but the proper length confuses me. I understand that in this example, the Earth is at rest with respect to the two stars, but from the observer on the ship's point of view, would he too be at rest? To the observer on the ship, it would seem as if he is at rest and the stars are what is moving. Why does this disallow the observer on the ship to measure proper length, since, as the book suggests proper length is, he is at rest with respect to the object, it is just the object is moving to him in his reference frame.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advanced.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yosty22 said:
I have just started studying Special Relativity in class and the concepts of Proper Length and Proper Time are giving me some issues. I understand the basics of length contraction and time dilation, but the idea of this "proper" time and length is giving me problems. One example in particular that was bugging me:

To start, the textbook I have for class defines proper length of an object as: "the length of the object measured by someone who is at rest with respect to the object." That makes sense, but in this example, it confuses me. It goes on to say: "Consider a spaceship traveling with a speed v from one star to another and two observers, one on Earth and the other in a spaceship. The observer at rest on Earth (and also assumed to be at rest with respect to the two stars) measures the distance between the starts to be L_p, where L_p is the proper length."

It continues on to state that the observer on Earth observes the voyage taking Δt to complete and the observer on the ship observes the same journey taking Δt'. This makes sense to me due to time dilation, but the proper length confuses me. I understand that in this example, the Earth is at rest with respect to the two stars, but from the observer on the ship's point of view, would he too be at rest? To the observer on the ship, it would seem as if he is at rest and the stars are what is moving. Why does this disallow the observer on the ship to measure proper length, since, as the book suggests proper length is, he is at rest with respect to the object, it is just the object is moving to him in his reference frame.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advanced.
If the object is moving to him in his reference frame, then he is not at rest with respect to the object, correct?

Ahh, I see. So I was reading and it seemed like proper length and proper time were always in difference reference frames. Is this always true? If so, is this how Einstein's first postulate holds? i.e. If they are always in difference reference frames, do they "cancel out" to ensure that all of the laws of physics hold as Einstein's postulate suggests?

Yosty22 said:
Ahh, I see. So I was reading and it seemed like proper length and proper time were always in difference reference frames. Is this always true? If so, is this how Einstein's first postulate holds? i.e. If they are always in difference reference frames, do they "cancel out" to ensure that all of the laws of physics hold as Einstein's postulate suggests?
I'm not sure what you're talking about. Every object is in every reference frame so you should consider just one reference frame at a time. All the objects that are at rest in a particular Inertial Reference Frame (IRF) are not Length Contracted nor Time Dilated so their lengths are Proper Lengths and their times are Proper Times. All the other objects that are moving in the same IRF are Length Contracted (along the direction of motion) and Time Dilated (which means expanded). Length Contraction means that the lengths are smaller than the Coordinate Lengths and Time Dilation means the times take longer than the Coordinate Times, so in what sense are you thinking that something will "cancel out"?

Yosty22 said:

No, both proper length and proper time are defined by the things in the same reference frame as the observer. The measurements of space and time of things moving relative to you not measurements of proper space or time for the object being measured.

1. What is the concept of proper length and proper time in special relativity (SR)?

Proper length refers to the distance between two points as measured in the reference frame in which the two points are at rest. Proper time, on the other hand, refers to the time interval between two events as measured in the reference frame in which the events occur at the same location.

2. What is the significance of proper length and proper time in SR?

Proper length and proper time are important concepts in SR because they are invariant quantities, meaning they do not change with the observer's reference frame. They allow for the measurement of distances and time intervals in a consistent manner, regardless of the observer's relative motion.

3. How do problems with proper length and proper time arise in SR?

Problems with proper length and proper time can arise when dealing with objects or events that are moving at high speeds, close to the speed of light. This is because time and length measurements can appear to be different for observers in different reference frames, leading to discrepancies and potential paradoxes.

4. How can these problems be resolved in SR?

These problems can be resolved by using the principles of special relativity, including time dilation and length contraction. Time dilation states that time appears to slow down for an object in motion relative to an observer, while length contraction states that the length of an object appears to shorten in the direction of its motion. These effects counteract to ensure that the speed of light remains constant for all observers.

5. What are some real-world applications of proper length and proper time in SR?

Proper length and proper time have practical applications in areas such as GPS technology and particle accelerators. In GPS, the accurate measurement of time is crucial for determining an object's location, while in particle accelerators, the effects of time dilation and length contraction must be taken into account to achieve accurate results.