Problems with the current design of ellipsometers

In summary, the present design of ellipsometers have some significant problems that need to be addressed in order to improve the accuracy and performance of the device.
Grambo777
Hi folks!

For those of you who are familiar with ellipsometers, are the following some significant pains/problems with the apparatus? Are there other significant pain points?

1. The machine is too bulky.
2. The change of angle is too slow.
3. The minimum angle is limited by thickness of arms.
4. The arms restrict the access for the imaging system thus limiting resolution.
5. Angular manipulators of heavy arms require precise and expensive mechanical equipment.

Thank you! We are researching various improvements to this apparatus.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

Sounds like a schoolwork assignment. Or is this for your work somehow?

In either case, what are your thoughts? Have you looked into other ways of measuring thin films? What applications do you want to support with your improved design?

http://www.angstec.com/fckimages/image/product/Spectroscopic Ellipsometer SE300BM.jpg

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

Sounds like a schoolwork assignment. Or is this for your work somehow?

In either case, what are your thoughts? Have you looked into other ways of measuring thin films? What applications do you want to support with your improved design?

http://www.angstec.com/fckimages/image/product/Spectroscopic Ellipsometer SE300BM.jpg
View attachment 244106
Thanks for the welcome! :)

We have a new design in mind which will be published in a couple of months. But, before we spend money on building an ugly prototype, we want to see if we properly identified some real problems with current machines. So far, some of our researchers identified the listed issues.

Are you in the elliosometer business?

Cheers!
G

Grambo777 said:
Are you in the elliosometer business?
No, just hoping to help facilitate getting you some good responses.

Will try paging a few folks who may be able to help: @Andy Resnick @Dale

berkeman said:

Much appreciated!
If the proof of concept project goes forward, we will be looking for interested mentors as well.
Cheers!
G

Likes berkeman
Is your product mainly targeted at thin film measurements, or do you have other applications of ellipsometers in mind?

berkeman said:

Sorry, I had never even heard of an elipsometer until today.

berkeman said:
Is your product mainly targeted at thin film measurements, or do you have other applications of ellipsometers in mind?
berkeman said:

Targeted for thin film measurement for now.

Dale said:
Sorry, I had never even heard of an elipsometer until today.
No worries! Thanks Dale!

Grambo777 said:
Summary: Identifying current problems/pains with ellipsometers.

Hi folks!

For those of you who are familiar with ellipsometers, are the following some significant pains/problems with the apparatus? Are there other significant pain points?

1. The machine is too bulky.
2. The change of angle is too slow.
3. The minimum angle is limited by thickness of arms.
4. The arms restrict the access for the imaging system thus limiting resolution.
5. Angular manipulators of heavy arms require precise and expensive mechanical equipment.

Thank you! We are researching various improvements to this apparatus.

I used an imaging IR ellipsometer a long time ago (Mueller matrix/Stokes vector) and while I have some ideas for improvement, I'm not sure we are talking about the same kind of device.

Certainly, your points are valid- the required precise angular positioning of source and detector is what drives a lot of the size/slowness/complexity. However, I would also expect the device and measurement requirements in UV, visible, or IR lead to significant application-specific design choices.

For example- are you aiming at a spectral measurement, an imaging measurement, or trying to combine both? Do you have a specific performance metric you are trying to optimize? Am I (unwittingly) helping you compete with J.A. Woolam?

Likes berkeman
Andy Resnick said:
I used an imaging IR ellipsometer a long time ago (Mueller matrix/Stokes vector) and while I have some ideas for improvement, I'm not sure we are talking about the same kind of device.

Certainly, your points are valid- the required precise angular positioning of source and detector is what drives a lot of the size/slowness/complexity. However, I would also expect the device and measurement requirements in UV, visible, or IR lead to significant application-specific design choices.

For example- are you aiming at a spectral measurement, an imaging measurement, or trying to combine both? Do you have a specific performance metric you are trying to optimize? Am I (unwittingly) helping you compete with J.A. Woolam?

Hi Andy, nice to meet you!

As we are a university, we don't compete with J.A. Woolam, Horiba or other such companies. Our design will be available to any interested company.

I will get back to you on expected applications.

Cheers,
Graham

Last edited by a moderator:
Grambo777 said:
Hi Andy, nice to meet you!

As we are a university, we don't compete with J.A. Woolam, Horiba or other such companies. Our design will be available to any interested company.

I will get back to you on expected applications.

Cheers,
Graham
Andy Resnick said:

Talked with the researchers today, and the elements they use in their design should be valid for the wavelength ranges you mention. The aim is to perform spectroscopic ellipsometry (with a broad-range light source in the illumination arm and a spectrum analyzer at the detection side). We are interested in both variable angle ellipsometry with high-resolution microscopy.

Cheers!

1. What are the main limitations of current ellipsometer designs?

The main limitations of current ellipsometer designs include limited spectral range, low sensitivity, and lack of compatibility with certain materials. Additionally, many designs require complex calibration procedures and are prone to errors due to environmental factors such as temperature and humidity.

2. How do these limitations impact the accuracy of ellipsometric measurements?

These limitations can significantly impact the accuracy of ellipsometric measurements, as they can introduce errors and uncertainties in the data. For example, limited spectral range can lead to incomplete data and low sensitivity can result in inaccurate measurements of thin films. Incompatibility with certain materials can also lead to incorrect readings.

3. What efforts are being made to improve the design of ellipsometers?

Scientists and engineers are constantly working to improve the design of ellipsometers by developing new technologies and techniques. Some of these efforts include expanding the spectral range, increasing sensitivity, and improving compatibility with various materials. Additionally, there is a focus on simplifying calibration procedures and reducing the impact of environmental factors.

4. Are there any alternative measurement techniques that can overcome the limitations of ellipsometers?

Yes, there are alternative measurement techniques that can overcome the limitations of ellipsometers. Some examples include spectroscopic reflectometry, polarimetry, and Mueller matrix ellipsometry. These techniques may offer advantages such as wider spectral range, higher sensitivity, and compatibility with a wider range of materials.

5. How can scientists and engineers address the challenges associated with the current design of ellipsometers?

To address the challenges associated with the current design of ellipsometers, scientists and engineers can continue to research and develop new technologies and techniques. Collaboration and knowledge-sharing among experts in the field can also lead to innovative solutions. Additionally, thorough testing and calibration procedures can help minimize errors and uncertainties in ellipsometric measurements.