Product and intersection of ideals of polynomial ring

In summary: This implies that zg^\prime+(x-t)g^{\prime\prime}=x(zh)+(y(x-t)h^\prime)=xzh+xyh^\prime-tyh^\prime. But we know that xzh, xyh^\prime, and yh^\prime are all in I because they are a multiple of x or y. And we know that tyh^\prime is in J because it is a multiple of (x-t). Therefore, g must be in IJ. So we have shown that I\cap J\subset IJ.In summary, we have shown that in the polynomial ring with ideals I=<x,y> and J=<z,x-t>, the intersection of I and J is a
camilus
Let [itex]k[x,y,z,t][/itex] be the polynomial ring in four variables and let [itex]I=<x,y>, J=<z, x-t>[/itex] be ideals of the ring.

I want to show that [itex]IJ=I \cap J[/itex] and one direction is trivial. But proving [itex]I \cap J \subset IJ[/itex] has stumped me so far. Anyone have any ideas?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
K is an algebraically closed field, of course.

Try to prove in general that if R is a unital ring and if I and J are ideals such that I+J=R (we say that I and J are comaximal), then [itex]IJ=I\cap J[/itex].

I have already proved that (and thought of that), but the problem is that these are ideals of a polynomial ring, so that if I+J=k[x] then either I or J IS k[x], otherwise you could not generate the scalars in the field.. (since k-field, it has no nontrivial ideals)

So this approach won't work. I want to show just this case, not prove the general statement of when the intersection of two ideals in poly ring is equal to their product.

I just need and argument for I intersect J \subset IJ for this particular case (I already know it is true, I just need to show it).

Thanks anyways micromass

OK, well, let's take a polynomial in [itex]g(x,y,z,t)[/itex] in [itex]I\cap J[/itex]. This polynomial must lie in I. This means that all the individual terms of the polynomial must be a multiple of x or of y. So you can write [itex]g(x,y,z,t)=xa(x,y,z,t)+yb(x,y,z,t)[/itex]. Now, g must also lie in J, what does that imply?

That it is a linear combination of z and (x-t), g=zg'+(x-t)g" for g',g" in k[x,y,z,t].

The question is what we do from there.

We know that g(0,0,z,t)=0 (because g in I) hence g(0,0,z,t)=zg'(0,0,z,t)-tg"(0,0,z,t)=0.

But from here can we conclude that g',g" are in I? I don't see how to do it..

So, let us look at [itex]zg^\prime+(x-t)g^{\prime\prime}[/itex]. We know that each individual term of the polynomial must be divisble by x or y. So we can write [itex]g^\prime=xh+yh^\prime[/itex], can we not? And the same for [itex]g^{\prime\prime}[/itex].

1. What is the definition of the product of ideals in a polynomial ring?

The product of two ideals I and J in a polynomial ring R[x] is defined as the set of all finite sums of products of elements from I and J. In other words, it is the smallest ideal that contains all possible products of elements from I and J.

2. How is the product of ideals related to the intersection of ideals?

The product of ideals I and J is a subset of the intersection of I and J. This means that any element in the product of I and J is also in the intersection of I and J. However, not all elements in the intersection of I and J are necessarily in the product of I and J.

3. Can the product of two ideals be larger than their intersection?

Yes, it is possible for the product of two ideals to be larger than their intersection. This can occur when the two ideals have no common elements, so their intersection is the zero ideal, but their product still contains non-zero elements.

4. How is the product and intersection of ideals related to the zero ideal?

The zero ideal is a special case where the product and intersection of any two ideals will always be equal, since all elements in the zero ideal are also in the product and intersection. However, this is not necessarily true for non-zero ideals.

5. How are the product and intersection of ideals affected by the degree of polynomials in the polynomial ring?

The degree of polynomials in the ideals can affect the product and intersection of ideals. For example, if the ideals contain only polynomials of degree 2 or less, then the product and intersection will also only contain polynomials of degree 2 or less. However, if the ideals contain polynomials of higher degrees, then the product and intersection can contain polynomials of higher degrees as well.