Program needed - for drawing electronic circuit diagrams

In summary, there are several options for free circuit diagram programs, including Electronics Workbench, LTSpice/SwCAD III, and Ultiboard. However, for precise circuit simulation, OrCad may be needed. LTSpice/SwCAD III is highly recommended for its ease of use and tutorials available through its user group.
DieCommie
I am in an electronic circuits laboratory class, and I am looking for a free, easy to use program that will allow me to construct circuit diagrams for my reports.

Any ideas? Thx!

Computer science news on Phys.org
DieCommie said:
I am in an electronic circuits laboratory class, and I am looking for a free, easy to use program that will allow me to construct circuit diagrams for my reports.

Any ideas? Thx!

For the purposes of drawing only, you could use xcircuit (free). One that does simulations also is Circuit Maker, I'm pretty sure they have a free student version.

Had that lab a year ago, we used Electronics Workbench, surprisingly I found it very easy to use despite is it is very heavy weight. Version 4 is very nice to use, but it is not free, I suggest you ask the lab assistant to lend you a copy or use the computer at the faculty that have the installed software.

I recommend Electronics workbench too, I been using it for 3 years now.
very good , and easy to learn.
However if you want something more complicated and that will do precise circuit simulation you'll need OrCad..

i was using Electronics workbench, but that is only for schematic.
Can u suggest me some program that transforming schematic to circuit board. I am learning Protel, but that is too complicated.
Please gave me some program that is easy to learn.

Whats wrong with Ultiboard? I believe it comes as part of the EW package.

LTSpice/SwCAD III is a charm. The user group has some awesome files and tutorials.
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/LTspice/ (yahoo account needed)

They had some free seminars in New York as part of the "LTspice World Tour 2007", but I missed all of them :( It would have been awesome to hear Mike Engelhardt speak.

ranger said:
LTSpice/SwCAD III is a charm. The user group has some awesome files and tutorials.
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/LTspice/ (yahoo account needed)

They had some free seminars in New York as part of the "LTspice World Tour 2007", but I missed all of them :( It would have been awesome to hear Mike Engelhardt speak.

I think it is the best freebie out there for circuits.

1. What is a program for drawing electronic circuit diagrams?

A program for drawing electronic circuit diagrams is a software tool used by engineers and scientists to create visual representations of electronic circuits. These diagrams help to communicate the design and functionality of a circuit and are used in various industries, including electronics, telecommunications, and computer science.

2. What features should I look for in a program for drawing electronic circuit diagrams?

When looking for a program for drawing electronic circuit diagrams, you should consider features such as a user-friendly interface, a wide range of electronic symbols and components, the ability to simulate circuits, and the option to export and share diagrams in various file formats.

3. Are there free or open-source programs for drawing electronic circuit diagrams?

Yes, there are several free and open-source programs available for drawing electronic circuit diagrams, such as KiCAD, Fritzing, and CircuitMaker. These programs offer many of the same features as paid software and are a great option for those on a budget.

4. Can I use a general drawing program to create electronic circuit diagrams?

While it is possible to create electronic circuit diagrams using a general drawing program, it is not recommended. These programs may not have the necessary features and symbols specific to electronic circuits, making it difficult to accurately represent and simulate the circuit design.

5. How can I learn to use a program for drawing electronic circuit diagrams?

Most programs for drawing electronic circuit diagrams have tutorials, user manuals, and online communities to help users learn how to use the software. You can also find online courses and resources to improve your skills and knowledge in creating electronic circuit diagrams.