Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Program that can steganograph a picture (BMP)?

1. Feb 23, 2010 #1
    can any one write a program that can steganograph a picture (BMP)?
    or any seggestion?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2010 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Re: steganography

Many people can.

Question is so vague it is hard to guess what you are really looking for.

4. Feb 23, 2010 #3

i am taking a c course in university and the in the third section of class professor announced the project of the term every body got shocked .
    i have 3 about 30 days to find the algorithm and general solution but i don't know how to start?
    can you help me?

5. Feb 23, 2010 #4

Borek

Plenty of ideas just after reading wikipedia article, just be creative.

6. Feb 23, 2010 #5

wikipedia is very general it dosen't give a starting point

7. Feb 23, 2010 #6

Yes it does. It tells you what a stenograph is (a coded image), and gives you multiple examples. There's bit replacement, ciphering, explicit letters, etc. The digital stenograph paragraph is basically a list of ways to do your project.

8. Feb 23, 2010 #7

my teacher advised me a way which name's was "spatial" any body knows what it is?:rolleyes:

9. Feb 23, 2010 #8

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I sometimes worry that not having a CS degree I'm not going to get more work as a programmer - then something cheers me up.

10. Feb 23, 2010 #9

minger

Science Advisor

I thought this thread had something to do with dinosaurs at first. Either way, good stuff.

learn something new everyday

11. Feb 23, 2010 #10

Spatial just means space, and from what clicking three links tells me, the technique involves hiding the secret in a certain region (space) in the picture the spatial domain. Just do a little bit of googling. It pulls up useful things like a http://debii.curtin.edu.au/~vidy/publications/INC_2004_Disguising%20Text%20Cryptography%20using%20Image%20Cryptography.ppt. [Broken].

Images 101:
    Digital images are composed of two main parts: the meta data, and the binary image data. The binary image data is mapped to colors/images based on the file formats and the specifications(rules) that go with that format. You can hide stuff in the meta data, the raw data, or you can tack stuff on (hide it in the file in such a way that it's not visible to the eye or on a cursory look at the file.) Your professor is telling you to mess with the actual image, which is the binary raw data.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  12. Feb 28, 2010 #11

after doing some searching i realized that the LSB method is very suitable for my project the problem is that i coulden't find any complete algorithm for this.
    i was wondering does anybody knows the complete algorithm of LSB method?

13. Feb 28, 2010 #12

Borek

Do you know what LSB is? There is no need for any special alogorithm, it can be coded in no time.

14. Feb 28, 2010 #13

As borek said, the LSB method is in the name. LSB stands for least significant bit. You should be able to manipulate the LSB on your own, but google also pulls up some stuff.

A LSB steganography detection algorithm<-just cite them.

15. Feb 28, 2010 #14

LSB method has a simple explanation but when we want to implement it to a BMP image with C it doesen't become as easy as you said i don't know how to start and how should i start coding i have no starting point and thats terrible!
    can any one give more help please????:blushing:

16. Feb 28, 2010 #15

Borek

Look for the internal structure of the BMP file in MSDN, find out where the data lies and how it is organized. It is a pretty simple format, especially for RGB bitmaps.

17. Mar 1, 2010 #16

how languages treat the bmp files?
    do they treat diffrently?
    i mean how a language like c treat a bmp file?

18. Mar 1, 2010 #17

DaveC426913

Gold Member

That's entirely dependent on you. A BMP file is just byte-sized data like any other file. (If you don't tell an application to interpret it as bitmap data, it will happily try to read it as if it were sound or text or whatever. A byte set as 64 (01000000) can appear as a dark red, a G note or an '@' character.) Your program will read in the data byte by byte; it is up to you to understand what the bytes mean by understanding the internal format of a .BMP file.

19. Mar 1, 2010 #18

Borek

faint.gif

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  20. Mar 1, 2010 #19

Which is where Borek's suggestion of combing MSDN came in. He was suggesting that you look up the internal file format so that you can figure out how to process the file. As your programming skills come off as somewhat weak, I suggest you use a C/C++ library for bitmap manipulation.

MSDN Bitmap Class

21. Mar 3, 2010 #20

thanks for you'r suggestions i will come back soon with:wink: new questions.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook