Programming challenges for begginers

• Thread starter stonecoldgen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Programming
In summary, this newbie needs to be aware of the challenges that are out there and be willing to try new things to keep learning. There are plenty of resources available to help him or her get started.
stonecoldgen
Hello again.

I'm understanding pretty well this whole programming thing. I'm learning javaa and I would like to know what are any challanges that could be given to a newbie just like me. You know, something that can be given perhaps as an assignment in an introductory level university course.

Thanks again physicsforums.

Technology news on Phys.org
Hey stonecoldgen.

I've heard some other posters talk about udacity which can be found here:

http://www.udacity.com/

Other than this, if you have a specialized interest, I suggest you look for open source projects that are close to the interest and then start learning the repository (i.e. the source code) and then change or add new features of your own incrementally.

The advantages for this include the time to getting new things done (as opposed to writing everything from scratch) as well as learning domain specific things (i.e. stuff related to the interest) and getting exposure to how stuff is commonly done.

What kinds of interests do you have?

Coding bat has some fun beginner - intermediate programming challenges for both java and python, which can be done directly in the browser.

Project Euler also has tons of challenges, although they tend to be more on the intermediate - advanced level.

SPOJ, Codechef are good places to start with.
Practise the easy sections first. There are lots of questions.

Also, if you are looking for data structure based questions instead of puzzle type questions which these sites generally have, try geeksforgeeks.

Last edited:
my favorites have been the Open Source Physics at www.compadre.org/osp. they have a collection of classes for simulating various physical systems using ODE solvers with some graphics. You could extend some of the simulations or write your own.

You could also get used to using Eclipse, Netbeans or IntelliJ IDE as they are used extensively in academia and industry for developing java applications.

I did one simulation where I extended a sliding block attached to a spring where I made the spring flex as the block moved and attempted another where I tried to simulate the flight of a frisbee (not so successful - ran out of time).

Related to Programming challenges for begginers

1. What are programming challenges for beginners?

Programming challenges for beginners are a set of exercises or problems designed to help individuals learn how to code and improve their programming skills. These challenges often involve writing code to solve a specific task or problem, and can range from simple to more complex tasks.

2. Why are programming challenges important for beginners?

Programming challenges are important for beginners because they provide hands-on practice and help individuals understand how to apply the concepts they have learned. They also help improve problem-solving skills and build confidence in coding abilities.

3. Where can I find programming challenges for beginners?

There are many websites and online platforms that offer programming challenges for beginners, such as Codecademy, HackerRank, and Codewars. These platforms provide a variety of challenges and allow users to track their progress and compare their solutions with others.

4. What programming languages are best for beginners to use in these challenges?

There is no one "best" programming language for beginners to use in challenges, as it ultimately depends on personal preference and the specific challenge. However, some popular languages for beginners include Python, JavaScript, and Java.

5. How can I improve my skills through programming challenges?

To improve your skills through programming challenges, it is important to start with simpler challenges and gradually move on to more complex ones. It is also helpful to review and understand the solutions of others, and to practice regularly. Additionally, seeking feedback and asking for help from more experienced programmers can also aid in skill development.