1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Programming for Mechanical Engineers

1. Jun 27, 2011 #1
    I'm currently doing Mech Eng in Canada and I plan on choosing Mechatronics as my speciality, however, I was wondering which language would be best for embedded systems and mechanical designs.

I've heard so many conflicting reports: some tell me mechanical engineers should stick to fortran, matlab or java; some say C++ is the most important; others mention plain old C.

Bottom line: I'm motivated to learn the most useful one for my needs. I want to be able to both design (mechanically) and if necessary be able to embed the controlling system.

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 27, 2011 #2
    For "raw" engineering programming, I would focus on Fortran and C.

4. Jun 27, 2011 #3

bcrowell

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Learning C is good because it acquaints you with how things really work under the hood. Fortran is a legacy language. In general, don't waste your time learning a lot of programming languages. Good programming skills have little to do with learning languages.

5. Jun 27, 2011 #4
    Thank you for the replies.

Is C better than C++ in regards to embedded systems?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook