Programming for Mechanical Engineers

In summary, the individual is studying Mechanical Engineering in Canada and plans to specialize in Mechatronics. They are seeking advice on the best programming language for embedded systems and mechanical design. Some suggest Fortran, MATLAB, or Java, while others mention C++ or C. The individual's goal is to be able to design and control systems. The expert suggests focusing on Fortran and C for "raw" engineering programming, as C provides a deeper understanding of how things work. They also advise against wasting time learning multiple languages, as good programming skills are not dependent on knowing many languages. Lastly, the individual asks if C is better than C++ for embedded systems.
ZenOne
I'm currently doing Mech Eng in Canada and I plan on choosing Mechatronics as my speciality, however, I was wondering which language would be best for embedded systems and mechanical designs.

I've heard so many conflicting reports: some tell me mechanical engineers should stick to fortran, MATLAB or java; some say C++ is the most important; others mention plain old C.

Bottom line: I'm motivated to learn the most useful one for my needs. I want to be able to both design (mechanically) and if necessary be able to embed the controlling system.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
For "raw" engineering programming, I would focus on Fortran and C.

Learning C is good because it acquaints you with how things really work under the hood. Fortran is a legacy language. In general, don't waste your time learning a lot of programming languages. Good programming skills have little to do with learning languages.

Thank you for the replies.

Is C better than C++ in regards to embedded systems?

I understand the importance of choosing the right programming language for your specific needs. In the field of mechanical engineering, there are several programming languages that can be useful for designing and controlling systems. However, there is no one "best" language as it ultimately depends on the specific project and its requirements.

For embedded systems and mechanical designs, some of the commonly used languages are C, C++, and Python. C and C++ are low-level languages that offer more control over hardware and are commonly used for real-time systems and microcontrollers. Python, on the other hand, is a high-level language that is easier to learn and offers a wide range of libraries and tools for data analysis and visualization.

If you are interested in mechatronics, it may be beneficial to learn a combination of these languages. For example, C or C++ can be useful for programming microcontrollers and controlling hardware, while Python can be used for data analysis and visualization.

Ultimately, the best approach would be to assess your specific project needs and choose the language that best fits those requirements. It is also important to continually learn and adapt to new languages and technologies in the rapidly evolving field of mechanical engineering.

1. What is programming for mechanical engineers?

Programming for mechanical engineers is the use of computer languages such as MATLAB, Python, or C++ to control and optimize mechanical systems. It involves writing code to perform tasks such as data analysis, simulation, and control of mechanical components.

2. Why is programming important for mechanical engineers?

Programming allows mechanical engineers to automate tasks, improve efficiency, and optimize designs. It also allows for more complex and precise calculations, simulations, and analysis that would not be possible by hand. In today's technological landscape, programming skills are becoming increasingly valuable for mechanical engineers.

3. What are some common programming languages used in mechanical engineering?

Some common programming languages used in mechanical engineering include MATLAB, Python, C++, Java, and Fortran. Each language has its own strengths and may be better suited for certain tasks or industries.

4. Do I need to have prior programming experience to learn programming for mechanical engineering?

No, prior programming experience is not necessary to learn programming for mechanical engineering. However, having a basic understanding of coding concepts and logic can make the learning process easier. Many resources, such as online tutorials and courses, are available to help beginners learn programming.

5. How can programming skills benefit a career in mechanical engineering?

Having programming skills can make a mechanical engineer more versatile and competitive in the job market. It can also open up opportunities in fields such as robotics, automation, and data analysis. Additionally, programming can help engineers work more efficiently and effectively, leading to improved designs and solutions.