Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projectile impact contact time

1. May 5, 2014 #1
    I am interested to know if there is possible to find out the contact time by a colliding object into a plate, given material properties? My object is to find out the pressure on a plate using force acting on an area.

What i know:

Mass of both projectile and target plate
    Impact velocity of projectile
    Density of both projectile and target plate
    I also know yield strength, ultimate strength.. for the plate.

2. jcsd
  3. May 5, 2014 #2
    If the object is really to know the pressure then I think you will need to know the geometry and elastic properties of the plate and also that of the projectile.

4. May 6, 2014 #3
    Well I know the dimensions of the bullet and plate, like radius, length and width, height of the plate. I could also know some elastic properties of the plate if I find a table that would give me those properties as a material.

The main thing I want to know if there is some way to calculate the contact time. That way I can calculate the Pressure with Force/Area. (I need the time in the force calculations)

5. May 6, 2014 #4

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Check out all the complicated stuff that goes on in such collisions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfDoQwIAaXg

You can't seriously expect a simple formula for pressure, based on some basic parameters. For non destructive collisions you could use FE-software. But the destructive stuff would be a challenge even with that.

6. May 6, 2014 #5
    I know that this subject is very complicated, and that is why I want to know a way to calculate contact given material properties, that way I can find out if the plate will withstand the pressure from a bullet. There are three different scenarios: No indentation and bullet does not leave a mark, indentation where bullet hits, and last the bullet will penetrate the target.
    I have watched that video a lot, and to decide what scenario a bullet will do, I only need to check pressure against the Yield strength and ultimate Strength for the plate. I dont want to simulate the complete process, only first find out what scenario I am dealing with.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook