Projectile impact contact time

In summary, the contact time can be calculated by using the dimensions of the object and the impact velocity of the projectile. If you know the yield strength and ultimate strength of the object, you can make a prediction for the pressure that the projectile will generate.
AleksanderP90
I am interested to know if there is possible to find out the contact time by a colliding object into a plate, given material properties? My object is to find out the pressure on a plate using force acting on an area.

What i know:

Mass of both projectile and target plate
Impact velocity of projectile
Density of both projectile and target plate
I also know yield strength, ultimate strength.. for the plate.

Physics news on Phys.org
If the object is really to know the pressure then I think you will need to know the geometry and elastic properties of the plate and also that of the projectile.

Well I know the dimensions of the bullet and plate, like radius, length and width, height of the plate. I could also know some elastic properties of the plate if I find a table that would give me those properties as a material.

The main thing I want to know if there is some way to calculate the contact time. That way I can calculate the Pressure with Force/Area. (I need the time in the force calculations)

AleksanderP90 said:
Well I know the dimensions of the bullet and plate, like radius, length and width, height of the plate. I could also know some elastic properties of the plate if I find a table that would give me those properties as a material.

Check out all the complicated stuff that goes on in such collisions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfDoQwIAaXg

You can't seriously expect a simple formula for pressure, based on some basic parameters. For non destructive collisions you could use FE-software. But the destructive stuff would be a challenge even with that.

I know that this subject is very complicated, and that is why I want to know a way to calculate contact given material properties, that way I can find out if the plate will withstand the pressure from a bullet. There are three different scenarios: No indentation and bullet does not leave a mark, indentation where bullet hits, and last the bullet will penetrate the target.
I have watched that video a lot, and to decide what scenario a bullet will do, I only need to check pressure against the Yield strength and ultimate Strength for the plate. I don't want to simulate the complete process, only first find out what scenario I am dealing with.

1. What is projectile impact contact time?

Projectile impact contact time refers to the amount of time that a projectile, such as a bullet or a ball, stays in contact with the surface it impacts. This can vary depending on the velocity and angle of the projectile, as well as the material and properties of the surface it impacts.

2. How is projectile impact contact time measured?

Projectile impact contact time can be measured using high-speed cameras or sensors that can detect the moment of impact and the moment the projectile leaves the surface. The time between these two events is the contact time.

3. What factors affect projectile impact contact time?

The velocity and angle of the projectile, as well as the material and properties of the surface it impacts, are the main factors that affect projectile impact contact time. Other factors may include air resistance and the shape of the projectile.

4. Why is projectile impact contact time important?

Projectile impact contact time can provide valuable information about the interaction between the projectile and the surface it impacts. It can also be used to calculate the force of impact and the energy transferred during the impact, which can have practical applications in fields such as engineering and sports.

5. How can projectile impact contact time be reduced?

Projectile impact contact time can be reduced by increasing the stiffness or strength of the surface, or by decreasing the velocity or angle of the projectile. Additionally, using materials with lower coefficients of friction can also reduce the contact time.