Projectile impact contact time

Main Question or Discussion Point

I am interested to know if there is possible to find out the contact time by a colliding object into a plate, given material properties? My object is to find out the pressure on a plate using force acting on an area.

What i know:

Mass of both projectile and target plate
Impact velocity of projectile
Density of both projectile and target plate
I also know yield strength, ultimate strength.. for the plate.

Answers and Replies

If the object is really to know the pressure then I think you will need to know the geometry and elastic properties of the plate and also that of the projectile.

Well I know the dimensions of the bullet and plate, like radius, length and width, height of the plate. I could also know some elastic properties of the plate if I find a table that would give me those properties as a material.

The main thing I want to know if there is some way to calculate the contact time. That way I can calculate the Pressure with Force/Area. (I need the time in the force calculations)

A.T.
Science Advisor
Well I know the dimensions of the bullet and plate, like radius, length and width, height of the plate. I could also know some elastic properties of the plate if I find a table that would give me those properties as a material.
Check out all the complicated stuff that goes on in such collisions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfDoQwIAaXg

You can't seriously expect a simple formula for pressure, based on some basic parameters. For non destructive collisions you could use FE-software. But the destructive stuff would be a challenge even with that.

I know that this subject is very complicated, and that is why I want to know a way to calculate contact given material properties, that way I can find out if the plate will withstand the pressure from a bullet. There are three different scenarios: No indentation and bullet does not leave a mark, indentation where bullet hits, and last the bullet will penetrate the target.
I have watched that video a lot, and to decide what scenario a bullet will do, I only need to check pressure against the Yield strength and ultimate Strength for the plate. I dont want to simulate the complete process, only first find out what scenario I am dealing with.