Grip Strength: Comparing Pressure Needed to Hold 20kg Weight Plate

In summary, if the coefficient of friction is the same then it will be easier to hold the weight with the plate with the wood dangling than with the plate with the wood attached. However, if the coefficient of friction is different then the plate with the wood attached will be easier to hold.
jjirving
I am interested to compare two scenarios relating to grip strength and how much horizontal pressure will be required to hold the weight.

Scenario 1: You have a 20kg weight plate in one piece. You hold the plate between your fingers.

Scenario 2: You are holding a small 2X4 block of wood with a hook on the bottom attached to a weight plate.

Assume both materials have the same surface tension, and assume both apparatus are calibrated to exactly the same weight.

Will the same pressure need to be applied to hold the weight? I don't have an answer for this other than observationally it appears significantly harder with scenario 2.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

jjirving said:
I am interested to compare two scenarios relating to grip strength and how much horizontal pressure will be required to hold the weight.

Scenario 1: You have a 20kg weight plate in one piece. You hold the plate between your fingers.

Scenario 2: You are holding a small 2X4 block of wood with a hook on the bottom attached to a weight plate.

Assume both materials have the same surface tension, and assume both apparatus are calibrated to exactly the same weight.

Will the same pressure need to be applied to hold the weight? I don't have an answer for this other than observationally it appears significantly harder with scenario 2.

A sketch or pictures would help to clarify what you are asking. And by "surface tension", do you mean the coefficient of friction?

Likes Ibix
berkeman said:
Welcome to PF.
A sketch or pictures would help to clarify what you are asking. And by "surface tension", do you mean the coefficient of friction?
I think that's what you mean. I don't have a physics background so I was hoping to get some help understanding the issue.

Scenario 1 is simply just holding the plate and we can assume the width is the same for the block as shown in the image which is the sort of setup I have for scenario 2.

sddefault.jpg

In terms of applied forces, if the coefficient of friction between your fingers and the wood is the same as that between your fingers and the metal then there is no difference in holding the apparatus in the picture by the wood (with the plate dangling) or the plate (with the wood dangling).

However, the plate has structure, and will be considerably easier to hold if your fingers are "hooked" under the rim. There is no rim to the wooden block so this cannot happen there. This would mean you'd have to apply less pinch force to the plate than you would for the same weight if it were a flat disc.

Also the plate is considerably thinner than the wooden block, and I think it's easier for your fingers to apply the same force to a thinner object than a thicker one. You could test this by looping a chain or rope through two identical plates and trying to pinch two of them stacked together or one hanging from the other (so you'd have the same weight and same coefficient of friction, but different thickness). I suspect you'll find the "one hanging" configuration easier to hold.

Also I have my doubts that the coefficient of friction is the same with the wood and the plate. The paint on the weight looks quite rough, probably as a deliberate aid to gripping it - the manufacturers don't want to drop it on your toes while you're attaching it to a bar. The wood doesn't look exactly polished, but looks to be cleanly cut and quite smooth.

Likes Lnewqban

What is grip strength?

Grip strength is the amount of force that a person can apply with their hand and fingers to hold onto an object. It is an important measure of overall hand and arm strength.

Why is grip strength important?

Grip strength is important for many daily activities, such as carrying groceries, opening jars, and performing tasks at work. It is also an indicator of overall physical health and can be used to track changes in strength over time.

How is grip strength measured?

Grip strength is typically measured using a hand dynamometer, which is a device that measures the amount of force applied by the hand. The person being tested will squeeze the dynamometer with their hand as hard as they can, and the device will display the amount of force in pounds or kilograms.

What is the significance of comparing pressure needed to hold a 20kg weight plate?

Comparing the pressure needed to hold a 20kg weight plate is a common way to measure grip strength. It provides a standardized weight for comparison and allows for tracking changes in grip strength over time.

How can grip strength be improved?

Grip strength can be improved through regular exercise and training. This can include exercises specifically targeting the hand and forearm muscles, as well as overall strength training. Additionally, maintaining a healthy diet and proper hydration can also contribute to improved grip strength.