Projectile: know only launch velocity, max height, and distance

In summary, it is possible to find the initial height, launch angle, and airtime of a projectile given the initial launch velocity, maximum height reached, and horizontal distance traveled. However, the equation to solve for the initial height can be complex and may require numerical methods or conversion into a quartic equation. Additionally, not all combinations of parameters will have a valid solution.
Matthew_S
Suppose you know only these three things about a launched projectile:

- Initial launch velocity (magnitude only, not direction)
- Maximum height reached
- Horizontal distance traveled before hitting the ground

Is it possible to find the initial height, launch angle, and airtime of this projectile (assuming that the initial launch height may or may not be at ground level)?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes it is possible. You could use a variation of the method I suggested in a similar thread you started.

I did what you said, and the good news is that I came up with the following equation:

[itex]\frac{d^{2}g}{4H - 2h + 4\sqrt{H(H-h)}} = v^{2} - 2gH + 2gh[/itex]

The bad news is that I need to solve for the initial height, [itex]h[/itex] in terms of all the other variables, and there seems to be no easy way to make things work. I tried assigning the term [itex]r = H-h[/itex], but it's still a huge pain to solve

If you are willing to assume initial launch height is zero or negligibly small...

θ=(1/2)arcsin(g*x_max/v^2)
=arcsin[sqrt(2*g*y_max)/v]

t_flight=2*sqrt[2*y_max/g]

Otherwise it's ugly. I see mathematics as both an enabler and a disabler, in your problem it is definitely the latter :(

The equation I get is [tex]\frac {a} {\sqrt {b - z}} - \sqrt {z} - 1 = 0[/tex] where [tex]a = \frac {d} {2H}[/tex][tex]b = \frac {v^2} {2gH}[/tex][tex]z = 1 - \frac h H[/tex] This can be solved numerically. Or, after some more massage, it could be converted into a quartic equation that could be solved by Ferrari's method, or numerically. The latter is bit tricky, because the quartic has four roots, but there is only one physical solution. The physical solution has these properties: [itex] z \ge 0 [/itex] (because [itex]h \le H[/itex]) and [itex]z \lt b [/itex] (because initial kinetic energy must be greater than required for purely vertical motion from [itex]h[/itex] to [itex]H[/itex]). Note also that not all combinations of parameters admit a solution.

What are d, H, and h? I don't see where you said this.

Last edited:
Distance traveled, max height, launch height.

1. What is the formula for calculating the launch angle of a projectile?

The formula for calculating the launch angle of a projectile is: θ = arctan((2*h)/d), where θ is the launch angle, h is the maximum height of the projectile, and d is the distance traveled by the projectile.

2. Can you determine the launch angle of a projectile if you only know the launch velocity, maximum height, and distance?

Yes, you can use the formula θ = arctan((2*h)/d) to calculate the launch angle of a projectile if you know the launch velocity, maximum height, and distance.

3. How do you find the time of flight for a projectile with only the given information?

The time of flight for a projectile can be calculated using the formula t = √(2*h/g), where t is the time of flight, h is the maximum height, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (usually 9.8 m/s²).

4. Is the launch velocity of a projectile the same as its initial velocity?

Yes, the launch velocity of a projectile is the same as its initial velocity because it is the velocity at which the projectile is launched from the ground.

5. Can you determine the range of a projectile if you only know the launch velocity, maximum height, and launch angle?

Yes, the range of a projectile can be calculated using the formula R = (v2sin(2θ))/g, where R is the range, v is the launch velocity, θ is the launch angle, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.