1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projectile Motion Bullet Shot Help

1. Nov 25, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

bullet shot horizontally over level ground with a velocity of 300m/s. at the instant that the bullet leaves the barrel, its empty shell casing falls vertically and strikes the ground with a vertical velocity of 5.00m/s

how far does the bullet travel

what is the vertical component of the bullet's velocity at the instant before it his the ground?

I tried a bunch of stuff and I didnt get the right answer, can someone just point me in the right direction? Please, at least tell me which equation to use cause I cant figure this out.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 25, 2013 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Hi yogoes123. Is there a question attached to this statement?

4. Nov 25, 2013 #3
    sorry i somehow missed that, very sorry i edited it.

5. Nov 25, 2013 #4

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Same here. I can't figure out which equation to use until I have condensed that wordy statement into something that looks more mathematical.

First thing, write down all the information that you know, expressing it as values of variables, e.g.,

bullet: vi = 300 m/sec

casing: vi = ???
        vf = ???

etc.

6. Nov 26, 2013 #5

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

what is distance d of fall given time of fall T?
    what is velocity of fall, given time of fall T?

7. Nov 26, 2013 #6
    Ok guys i think there is a bit of confusion. The question says the bullet has a horizontal velocity of 300 m/s.

They want you to find range.

They also say the bullet shell falls vertically at a rate of 5 m/s, not sure why but its probably needed.

Thats all they give u.

Horizontal Velocity of bullet: 300 m/s

Vertical velocity of SHELL: 5m/s

8. Nov 26, 2013 #7

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You need to quote the actual problem verbatim for us. The casing will not fall with uniform velocity.

9. Nov 26, 2013 #8
    A sharpshooter shoots a bullet horizontally over level ground with a velocity of 3.00 x 10^2 m/s. At the instant that the bullet leaves the barrel, its empty shell casing falls vertically and strikes the ground with a vertical velocity of 5.00 m/s

a) How far does the bullet travel

b) What is the vertical component of the bullet's velocity at the instant before it hits the ground.

10. Nov 26, 2013 #9
    Break this down into your knowns and unknowns.

You only have four kinematic equations.

U1L6a1.gif

This problem is a projectile problem that is asking you to break things up in terms of x and y. First the shell moves initially with the bullet at 300 m/s horizontally, and then when it approaches 0 m/s, due to gravity it accelerates vertically at 9.8 m/s2 towards the earth to reach a final velocity of 5 m/s.

So what do you know?

Horizontal Movement

Vix= 300 m/s
    t=(5m/s)/(9.8m/s2)=0.5097s
    ax= 0 m/s2
    Δx=?

Δx=(vix)(t) + (0.5)(ax)(t)2

Vertical Movement

viy= 0 m/s
    vfy= 5m/s
    ay= 9.8 m/s2
    Δx=?

vfy2 = viy2 + (2)(ay)(Δy)

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted