Projectile Motion Bullet Shot Help

• Thread starter yogoes123
  • Start date

Homework Statement

bullet shot horizontally over level ground with a velocity of 300m/s. at the instant that the bullet leaves the barrel, its empty shell casing falls vertically and strikes the ground with a vertical velocity of 5.00m/s

how far does the bullet travel

what is the vertical component of the bullet's velocity at the instant before it his the ground?

I tried a bunch of stuff and I didnt get the right answer, can someone just point me in the right direction? Please, at least tell me which equation to use cause I cant figure this out.

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

NascentOxygen
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
bullet shot horizontally over level ground with a velocity of 300m/s. at the instant that the bullet leaves the barrel, its empty shell casing falls vertically and strikes the ground with a vertical velocity of 5.00m/s
Hi yogoes123. Is there a question attached to this statement?

sorry i somehow missed that, very sorry i edited it.

NascentOxygen
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
I tried a bunch of stuff and I didnt get the right answer, can someone just point me in the right direction? Please, at least tell me which equation to use cause I cant figure this out.
Same here. I can't figure out which equation to use until I have condensed that wordy statement into something that looks more mathematical.

First thing, write down all the information that you know, expressing it as values of variables, e.g.,

bullet: vi = 300 m/sec

casing: vi = ???
    vf = ???

etc.

rude man
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
what is distance d of fall given time of fall T?
what is velocity of fall, given time of fall T?

Ok guys i think there is a bit of confusion. The question says the bullet has a horizontal velocity of 300 m/s.

They want you to find range.

They also say the bullet shell falls vertically at a rate of 5 m/s, not sure why but its probably needed.

Thats all they give u.

Horizontal Velocity of bullet: 300 m/s

Vertical velocity of SHELL: 5m/s

rude man
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
You need to quote the actual problem verbatim for us. The casing will not fall with uniform velocity.

A sharpshooter shoots a bullet horizontally over level ground with a velocity of 3.00 x 10^2 m/s. At the instant that the bullet leaves the barrel, its empty shell casing falls vertically and strikes the ground with a vertical velocity of 5.00 m/s

a) How far does the bullet travel

b) What is the vertical component of the bullet's velocity at the instant before it hits the ground.

Homework Statement

bullet shot horizontally over level ground with a velocity of 300m/s. at the instant that the bullet leaves the barrel, its empty shell casing falls vertically and strikes the ground with a vertical velocity of 5.00m/s. So if you want to find the distance it traveled, you need to find ow far it traveled in x and in y.

how far does the bullet travel

what is the vertical component of the bullet's velocity at the instant before it his the ground?

Break this down into your knowns and unknowns.

You only have four kinematic equations.

U1L6a1.gif

This problem is a projectile problem that is asking you to break things up in terms of x and y. First the shell moves initially with the bullet at 300 m/s horizontally, and then when it approaches 0 m/s, due to gravity it accelerates vertically at 9.8 m/s2 towards the earth to reach a final velocity of 5 m/s.

So what do you know?

Horizontal Movement

Vix= 300 m/s
t=(5m/s)/(9.8m/s2)=0.5097s
ax= 0 m/s2
Δx=?

Δx=(vix)(t) + (0.5)(ax)(t)2

Vertical Movement

viy= 0 m/s
vfy= 5m/s
ay= 9.8 m/s2
Δx=?