Projectile motion launched rocket

In summary: But I see my error now. In summary, the problem involves a rocket being fired from ground level at a speed of 75.0 m/s and an angle of 60.5° above the horizontal. The target is an 11.0 m high wall located 22.5 m away. The rocket reaches its launch speed immediately and then coasts. By accounting for the y-acceleration, it can be determined that the rocket clears the top of the wall by 28.75 m.
PhilCam

Homework Statement

A rocket is fired at a speed of 75.0 m/s from ground level, at an angle of 60.5° above the horizontal. The rocket is fired toward an 11.0 m high wall, which is located 22.5 m away. The rocket attains its launch speed in a negligibly short period of time, after which its engines shut down and the rocket coasts. By how much does the rocket clear the top of the wall?

Homework Equations

V0x= V0Cos (angle)
V0y= V0Sin (angle)

x=1/2at(squared)+V0t
X(t)=vt

The Attempt at a Solution

To solve this problem I first used the first two equations to find the V0x and V0y. I ended up with 36.93 for x and 65.276 for y.

From there I used the 3rd equation considering that acceleration (a)=0 so I ended up with x=V0t or 22.5=(35.93)t. I ended up with .609 seconds.

From here I used the last equation (considering that acceleration is constant) and found that Y(t)=V0y(t) or y(t)=65.276 x .609.

My answer was 39.75. I subtracted 11 from that and ended with 28.75 which is not the correct answer.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
PhilCam said:
From here I used the last equation (considering that acceleration is constant) and found that Y(t)=V0y(t) or y(t)=65.276 x .609

My answer was 39.75. I subtracted 11 from that and ended with 28.75 which is not the correct answer.

Thanks.

Note that though you knew that there was a y-acceleration, you forgot to include it in your
calculation :wink:

Oh, thanks so much!

I was thinking "this problem is not this hard, how do I keep screwing up..."

1. What is projectile motion and how does it relate to a launched rocket?

Projectile motion is the curved path that an object, such as a rocket, follows when it is launched into the air. This motion is a result of the rocket's initial velocity and the force of gravity pulling it back towards the ground.

2. How is the initial velocity of a launched rocket determined?

The initial velocity of a launched rocket is determined by the force applied to it during the launch, as well as the angle at which it is launched. The greater the force and the steeper the angle, the higher the initial velocity will be.

3. What factors affect the trajectory of a launched rocket?

The trajectory of a launched rocket is affected by several factors, including the initial velocity, angle of launch, air resistance, and the force of gravity. Other factors such as wind and air density can also play a role in the rocket's trajectory.

4. Can the trajectory of a launched rocket be predicted accurately?

Yes, the trajectory of a launched rocket can be predicted accurately using mathematical equations and the known factors such as initial velocity and angle of launch. However, external factors such as wind and air resistance may slightly affect the accuracy of the prediction.

5. What is the maximum height that a rocket can reach in a projectile motion?

The maximum height that a rocket can reach in a projectile motion is determined by its initial velocity and the angle at which it is launched. The higher the initial velocity and steeper the angle, the higher the maximum height will be. However, air resistance and gravity will eventually cause the rocket to begin to fall back towards the ground.