Projectile motion of a flicked ball

In summary: What's the vertical speed at the highest point?Are you sure you're not allowed a calculator? That would make calculating the initial velocity in the x and y direction a bit difficult, unless they want you to leave it as 2.4sin30 or whatever.
lulusmith
Really can't figure this out by dividing x and y. The only way i can do it is with equations that use quadratics and I can't do that in my head for a test were I'm not allowed a calculator.Please help, Thank you!

You flick a ball from a tabletop, so that the ball lands on the floor 1.20 m below. The ball's initial speed is 2.40 m/s. Use g = 9.80 m/s2.

(a) If the ball is launched off the table horizontally, what is the horizontal distance between the launch point and the point where the ball hits the floor?

(b) If the ball is launched off the table at a 30 degree angle above the horizontal, what is the horizontal distance between the launch point and the point where the ball hits the floor?

Physics news on Phys.org
So I looked at the site and this is what I did:
ok so I got part a.

I didn't get part b.
What I did was solve for t first:
Y=Yo+ VoyT + aT^2/2
Y= 1.2m + 1.2(got this from 2.4sin30)t + (-9.8)(t^2)/2
t+t^2 = -1.2x2/9.8
-1.24t = 1
t= 0.80

Then I used t to solve for ax:

Vx=Vox+at;
0= 2.08 (from 2.4cos30) + a(0.8);
a= 2.6

Then I used this to solve for x (AKA range):
x = Xo + VoxT +at^2/2
x= 2.08(0.8)+ 2.6(0.8^2)/2;
x= 2.50

But it was wrong, so what did I do wrong?

for the first part where you found t, you should use the quadratic formula to solve the expression y = ...

Isn't there an easier way to solve it w/o using the quadratic formula?
(I'm not allowed to use a calculator during the exam)

lulusmith said:
Isn't there an easier way to solve it w/o using the quadratic formula?
(I'm not allowed to use a calculator during the exam)
You can solve it in steps:
- Find the time it takes to get to the highest point of its motion
- Find the distance of the highest point above the table (and the floor)
- Find the time it takes to fall to the floor from the highest point

Seems like quite a handicap not to use a calculator.

Could you show me how to actually do the problem (e.g: the equation I would have to use)?

lulusmith said:
Could you show me how to actually do the problem (e.g: the equation I would have to use)?
I'll give you the first step: v = v0 + at

What's the vertical speed at the highest point?

are you sure you're not allowed a calculator? That would make calculating the initial velocity in the x and y direction a bit difficult, unless they want you to leave it as 2.4sin30 or whatever

1. How does the angle of projection affect the distance traveled by a flicked ball?

The angle of projection determines the direction of the ball's initial velocity vector. The greater the angle, the more horizontal velocity the ball will have. This means that a ball with a higher angle of projection will travel further than a ball with a lower angle, assuming all other factors, such as initial velocity and air resistance, are constant.

2. What is the maximum height reached by a flicked ball?

The maximum height reached by a flicked ball depends on the initial velocity and angle of projection. The higher the initial velocity and the greater the angle, the higher the maximum height will be. However, air resistance will also play a role in determining the maximum height.

3. How does air resistance affect the trajectory of a flicked ball?

Air resistance, also known as drag, acts in the opposite direction to the ball's motion. This means that it will slow down the ball and cause it to drop faster than it would in a vacuum. As a result, the trajectory of the ball will be affected, causing it to have a shorter range and lower maximum height.

4. Why does a flicked ball follow a parabolic path?

A flicked ball follows a parabolic path due to the effects of gravity. Gravity acts in a downward direction, causing the ball to accelerate towards the ground. The initial horizontal velocity of the ball combined with this downward acceleration results in a curved path, known as a parabola.

5. How does the mass of the ball affect its projectile motion?

According to the principles of projectile motion, the mass of an object does not affect its trajectory. This means that a ball with a larger mass will follow the same path as a ball with a smaller mass, assuming the initial velocity and angle of projection are the same. However, a ball with a greater mass will have a higher inertia, meaning it will be harder to change its motion.