Projectile motion of a thrown rock

In summary: Glad I could help! In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a hiker throwing a stone from a vertical cliff with a known initial velocity and angle. The goal is to find the height of the cliff using kinematics equations. The correct solution involves resolving the velocity into components and using the time independent kinematics equation to solve for the height.
Mdhiggenz

Homework Statement

A hiker throws a stone from the upper edge of a vertical cliff. The stone ' s initial velocity is 25.0 m/s directed at 40.0 degrees with the face of the cliff, as shown in Fig. 3.1. The stone hits the ground 3.75 s after being thrown and feels no appreciable air resistance as it falls. the height of the cliff is closest to

Here is the link to the picture: http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/8058/58525486.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So what I first did was break the velocity into its vertical and horizontal components,

25.0sin40=16.06m/s(y0)

25.0cos40=19.15m/s(x0)

We know the time it takes to hit the gound is 3.75 seconds

I got its Vy( final velocity) by using the following equation vy=vosina-gt

vy=16.0sin40-9.8(3.75s)
=-26.46m/s

Here is where I start getting lost, I wanted to solve for deltay using the following formula;

vf^2=vi^2+2aDeltay

(-24.46)^2-(16.06)^2/2(-9.8).. and I got some funky answer, the answer to the problem is 141.

Can someone walk me through how to get that answer, thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well to start off 25sin40 is the x component of the velocity, not the y, assuming theta is the angle between the vertical cliff face and the direction the stone was thrown, although I could just be reading it wrong, the picture is open to interpretation...

Your kinematics equations are fine, it looks like a simple error in your algebra as long as the above error is irrelevant.

Additionally, what are you solving for?

Sorry I edited it, we are solving for the height of the cliff.

Mdhiggenz said:
Sorry I edited it, we are solving for the height of the cliff.

Check your algebra, and trig. Again, I don't think your angle is in the right spot. I solved it and got the correct answer.

Your kinematics equations themselves are fine.

I tried 25cos40=v0y=19.15

y=19.15(3.75)-1/2(-9.8)(3.75)^2=141!

Thank you!

Can You walk me through your thought process when you were solving this problem?

Mdhiggenz said:
I tried 25cos40=v0y=19.15

y=19.15(3.75)-1/2(-9.8)(3.75)^2=141!

Thank you!

Can You walk me through your thought process when you were solving this problem?

Sure :)

Ok so when I see a kinematics equation the first thing I do is resolve it into components, just as you did. I find that

v0x = 25sin40
v0y = 25cos40

Since we're concerned only with the height of the cliff, and we know the time it takes for it to fall, it becomes quite simple. You can solve one of two ways:

y = y0 + v0yt + .5at2

or solve for the final velocity in the y direction, and then use the time independent kinematics equation (thats the way we both did it, it just occurred to me that the way above works as well, and in one less step!)

Then just solve for x (making sure that your x0 correctly represents the initial position.

Hope this helps! :)

Clear explanation, thank you!

No problem.

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object that is thrown or projected into the air and moves along a curved path under the influence of gravity.

2. How is the trajectory of a thrown rock affected by air resistance?

Air resistance, or drag, can affect the trajectory of a thrown rock by slowing it down and altering its path. The degree of air resistance depends on the shape and size of the rock, as well as the speed and direction of its motion.

3. How does the angle of release affect the distance a rock travels?

The angle of release, or the angle at which the rock is thrown, can greatly impact the distance it travels. The optimal angle for maximum distance is 45 degrees, as this angle balances the horizontal and vertical components of the rock's velocity.

4. Can a rock's initial velocity affect its trajectory?

Yes, a rock's initial velocity, or the speed and direction at which it is thrown, can affect its trajectory. A higher initial velocity will result in a longer horizontal distance traveled, while a lower initial velocity will result in a shorter distance.

5. How does the mass of a rock impact its projectile motion?

The mass of a rock does not significantly affect its projectile motion, as long as the air resistance is negligible. According to the law of inertia, the mass of an object does not affect the way it moves under the influence of gravity alone.