Projectile Motion: only g and t known

In summary, the ball is thrown at a constant velocity upwards and it reaches the top of the balloon in 10 seconds.
joshmdmd

Homework Statement

There is a hot air balloon on the ground. It moves upwards at a constant acceleration. After 30 seconds someone throws a ball horizontally. An observer times the ball in the air to be 10 seconds.

Knowns:
Time of the ball: 10seconds
Gravity: 9.8m/s

You are to find:
a) the balloons acceleration
b) initial height at which the ball is thrown
c) height of the baloon when the ball hits the ground
d) ask God for forgiveness

Answers
a) 0.65m/s2
b) 294m
c) 522m

Homework Equations

vf^2=vi^2+2ad
d=vi(t)+0.5(a)t^2
d=vf(t)+0.5(a)t^2
d=vt
vf=vi+a(t)
d=0.5(vi+vf)t

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to combine formulas but when I did i had gotten incorrect answers.
There are not enough knowns to solve it directly. The class (20 people) couldn't get it after 30min.. This is Grade 12 Physics..

I know that because the ball is moving horizontally then the velocity going horizontal is constant, and that because as it is thrown the balloon is moving upwards then the ball also has a velocity upwards, creating a parabola.

Physics news on Phys.org
any ideas would help really.. i have to figure this out and hand it in tommorow.

joshmdmd said:

Homework Statement

There is a hot air balloon on the ground. It moves upwards at a constant acceleration. After 30 seconds someone throws a ball horizontally. An observer times the ball in the air to be 10 seconds.

Knowns:
Time of the ball: 10seconds
Gravity: 9.8m/s

You are to find:
a) the balloons acceleration
b) initial height at which the ball is thrown
c) height of the baloon when the ball hits the ground
d) ask God for forgiveness

Answers
a) 0.65m/s2
b) 294m
c) 522m

Homework Equations

vf^2=vi^2+2ad
d=vi(t)+0.5(a)t^2
d=vf(t)+0.5(a)t^2
d=vt
vf=vi+a(t)
d=0.5(vi+vf)t

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to combine formulas but when I did i had gotten incorrect answers.
There are not enough knowns to solve it directly. The class (20 people) couldn't get it after 30min.. This is Grade 12 Physics..

I know that because the ball is moving horizontally then the velocity going horizontal is constant, and that because as it is thrown the balloon is moving upwards then the ball also has a velocity upwards, creating a parabola.

Balloon:
y=(1/2)a.30^2; vy=30a;

Ball:
y=10vy - (1/2)g.10^2;

Thus: -(1/2)a.30^2=10vy-(1/2)g.100 = 10.30a - (1/2)g100
a = 0.654 m/s^2
etc.

dam.. i figured it was something like that.. i figured it out the in the morning the next day and yah.. fun stuff =]

However, without the initial velocity of the ball or the height of the balloon, it is not possible to determine the initial velocity or acceleration of the balloon.

Furthermore, the only known time in the problem is the time of the ball in the air, which does not provide enough information to solve for the height of the balloon when the ball hits the ground. To solve for the initial height of the ball, we would need to know the initial velocity of the ball, which is not given.

In order to accurately solve this problem, we would need to know more information such as the initial velocity and height of the ball, as well as the initial velocity and acceleration of the balloon. Without these values, it is not possible to accurately solve for the given unknowns.

As a scientist, it is important to recognize the limitations of the given information and to understand that some problems may not have a solution without all the necessary data. In this case, it would be best to ask the teacher or seek additional information in order to accurately solve the problem.

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object that is launched or thrown and moves through the air under the influence of gravity.

2. What is the role of gravity in projectile motion?

Gravity is the force that pulls the object towards the ground and causes it to accelerate. It is the main factor that affects the trajectory of a projectile.

3. How do you calculate the distance traveled by a projectile?

The distance traveled by a projectile can be calculated using the formula: d = gt²/2, where d is the distance, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and t is the time. This formula assumes that the initial velocity is zero.

4. How do you calculate the maximum height reached by a projectile?

The maximum height reached by a projectile can be calculated using the formula: h = gt²/2, where h is the maximum height, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and t is the time. This formula assumes that the initial velocity is zero.

5. How do you determine the velocity of a projectile at a given time?

The velocity of a projectile at a given time can be calculated using the formula: v = gt, where v is the velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and t is the time. This formula assumes that the initial velocity is zero.