1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projectile motion vector problem

1. Nov 7, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    At what compensatory angle north of east should a drone, that can only move forward at a maximum speed of 20 m/s, be launched if it is to strike a target that is 400m due east if there is a wind moving 5 m/s south?

2. Relevant equations
    vx=20cos[tex]\Theta[/tex]
    vy=20sin[tex]\Theta[/tex]
    vf2=vi2+2ad (I think?)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm not sure how to start trying to solve this, I drew a small diagram labeled with north south east and west and it shows the object's trajectory over the 400 m. I set up a chart of known and unknown variables
    x
    d=400 m
    a=0 m/s2
    t= ?
    vi=20cos[tex]\Theta[/tex]
    vf=20cos[tex]\Theta[/tex]
    vavg=20cos[tex]\Theta[/tex]

y
    d=?
    a=9.8 m/s2
    t=?
    vi=20sin[tex]\Theta[/tex]
    vf=?
    vavg=?

that's all I can get

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2009 #2
    First define your variables. What is x and what is y? Why is acceleration in the y direction 9.8 m/s^2?

4. Nov 7, 2009 #3
    x is motion on the axis from west to east and y is motion on the axis from south to north, the acceleration in the y direction is that because the only force acting on it is the gravitational force

5. Nov 7, 2009 #4
    Gravity doesn't work from north to south.

EDIT: My point is, you're approaching the problem from completely the wrong angle. It's simple vector arithmetic and trigonometry. Try re-drawing the problem with that in mind, and let us know how you do.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook