Projectile motion, vector components

In summary, a child throws a snowball with a horizontal velocity of 18m/s towards a tree from a distance of 9.0m and a height of 1.5m above the ground. To calculate when the snowball hits the tree (a), we use the formula 9.0m = 18m/s * t, resulting in a time of 0.5s. To calculate the height above the ground where the snowball hits the tree (b), we use the equation Y=Y_{0}+V_{0}t+\frac{1}{2}at^{2}, with Y_{0} as the initial height of 1.5m, a as the acceleration of gravity (-
shawli

Homework Statement

A child throws a snowball with a horizontal velocity of 18m/s directly toward a tree, from a distance of 9.0m and a height above the ground of 1.5m.

a) After what time interval does the snowball hit the tree?
b) At what height above the ground does the snowball hit the tree?

Homework Equations

displacement on x = horizontal velocity * time

displacement on y = initial vertical velocity * time + 0.5 * acceleration * time squared

or

displacement on y = final vertical velocity * time - 0.5 * acceleration * time squared

The Attempt at a Solution

For a), using the first formula, the calculation is:
9.0 m = 18m/s * t
t= 0.5s

Now I'm not sure what to do with b). If I use the equation:

displacement on y = initial vertical velocity * time + 0.5 * acceleration * time squared

is the initial vertical velocity 0? Since the boy throws the snowball horizontally? I think it is, but I don't get the right answer when I do this (the answer is 0.3 m).

What I'm doing is:

displacement on y = (0) * (0.5) + 0.5 * (-9.8) * (0.5)^2

Physics news on Phys.org
"a" answer is correct

for "b" you can use:
[tex]Y=Y_{0}+V_{0}t+\frac{1}{2}at^{2}[/tex]
where Y is the final altitude, [tex]Y_{0}[/tex] equals the initial altitude (1.5m), a the acceleration (a=g=-9,8(m/s^2)) and t is the time.

you resolve that and you'll get Y=0,275 (m)

shawli said:
What I'm doing is:

displacement on y = (0) * (0.5) + 0.5 * (-9.8) * (0.5)^2
That will give you the displacement from the original height of the snowball when it was thrown. How high was that above the ground?

Related to Projectile motion, vector components

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air that is affected by gravity and air resistance. It follows a curved path called a parabola.

2. What are the two components of a projectile's motion?

The two components of a projectile's motion are the horizontal and vertical components. The horizontal component is affected by the object's initial velocity and remains constant throughout the motion. The vertical component is affected by gravity and changes the object's velocity and direction.

3. How do you find the horizontal and vertical components of a projectile's motion?

The horizontal and vertical components can be found by breaking the object's initial velocity into its x and y components using trigonometry. The horizontal component is equal to the initial velocity multiplied by the cosine of the launch angle, and the vertical component is equal to the initial velocity multiplied by the sine of the launch angle.

4. How is the range of a projectile affected by its initial velocity and launch angle?

The range of a projectile, which is the horizontal distance it travels, is affected by both the initial velocity and launch angle. A higher initial velocity will result in a longer range, while a smaller launch angle will also result in a longer range.

5. How does air resistance affect projectile motion?

Air resistance, also known as drag, affects projectile motion by slowing down the object's horizontal and vertical components. This results in a shorter range and a lower maximum height compared to a theoretical projectile motion without air resistance.