1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projectile motion with air friction

1. Jun 27, 2012 #1
    I'm trying to understand the motion of projectile motion under the influence of air resistance. A website such as this details the necessary equations available to approximate this model: http://claymore.engineer.gvsu.edu/~michels/index_files/Golf%20Ball%20Paper%20Final%20draft.pdf [Broken]
    However, i am unable to calculate vaild results.
    I'm using the constant air friction equation
    x(t)=(24τV cosθ)/(C_D Re) e^(-((C_D Re)/24τ)t)+(24τV cosθ)/(C_D Re)
    &
    y(t)=〖(V sinθ+24τg/(C_D Re))( -24τ/(C_D Re) e^(-((C_D Re)/24τ)t) )+((V sinθ+24τ/(C_D Re))(24τ/(C_D Re)))-(24τ/(C_D Re))t

Reading on the linked website will provide in detail what these variables equal.

My results are
    Velocity:v=2.85ms
    Angle 60 degrees
    mass: 0.004kg
    Diameter: 0.016m
    This is all done in the fluid of air
    at around 20°C

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 27, 2012 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

In what way are these not valid results?

[aside: the link is not valid]

4. Jun 28, 2012 #3
    Sorry what i'm meant to say is that my results are my initial values. When i sub these into the equation listed the results i obtain are invalid. Try the link again it should be vaild. If not just type into google search and click the most common url located

5. Jun 28, 2012 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

However I now have the pdf linked to. Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook