1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projectile motion with drag and lift

1. Nov 4, 2009 #1
    I obtained lift and drag forces for an object I was testing in a wind tunnel and I wanted to know if it was possible to do a projectile motion problem with the following variables;
    I know the initial velocity of the object, V=76m/s, the possible launch angles = 30, 45, or 60 degrees, and gravity = 9.81m/s^2.

-I also have tabulated data of the lift and drag forces on the object at 3 different wind speeds (80, 130, 170 mph) while varying the angle of attack (AOA) from -10 to 30 degrees.
    I took the three drag values at 0 degrees AOA and found a linear relationship between the wind speed and drag values. I used that relationship and subtracted drag off of the ideal equations of distance and height of projectile motion and the values I got dont make sense. Is there another way I can do this or am I missing some important information to solve this problem

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2009 #2
    Ideal case#
    Ax = 0
    Ay = -g

Practical Case#
    Ax = -Drag/mass
    Drag = -Cd.(Area.rho.V^2)/2

Ay = -g + lift/mass
    Lift = -Cl.(Area.rho.V^2)/2

You have the data, calculate Cl & Cd at the data points, interpolate to get Cl & Cd in terms of V, integrate twice the acceleration term to get the distance.

Note: The actual & calculated value still wont match. Can you guess why?

Last edited: Nov 4, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook