Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projectile Motion's relationship with Kinetic Energy and Potential Energy

1. True

4 vote(s)
  2. False

0 vote(s)
  1. Oct 7, 2011 #1
    Imagine a ramp setup on top of a tall table. The height Δy is measured. To find the initial velocity at the instant the ball leaves the ramp, I set up the kinetic energy and potential energy equal to each other to find the initial velocity of the x component.

PE = KE
    m*g*(hr) = 0.5*m*v^2

where hr is the height of the ramp and v is initial velocity (x-component)

solving for vx (x-component velocity), I got:
    vx = √(2*g*hr)

To get the time for the object's time in flight:
    y'-y= vy + 0.5gt^2
    Δy= vy + 0.5gt^2, where Δy is the height from the ground to the ramp.
    since θ= 0° I found t to be:
    t = √{ (2*∆y)/g }

Now my question is how do I find the range of this object?
    I started out with Δx = vx*t ; where vx is the initial x-component velocity.... is that even right?
    I'm hesitant to use it because written as Δx/t, it looks like an average velocity equation.
    Furthermore, in Wikipedia I saw the equation

d= {v*cos([itex]\Theta[/itex])}/g * [v*sin([itex]\Theta[/itex]) + sqrt(v*sin([itex]\Theta[/itex])^2+2g*y)]

under uneven ground

but the problem is I don't have final velocity................ or can I calculate the final velocity with the givens........ if so how??

Could anyone please nudge me in the right direction to find Δx?

Last edited: Oct 7, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 7, 2011 #2
    I think I solved it........... duh.

in the distance formula
    d = v(initial)*t + 1/2*a*t^2.

v(initial) and time is already attained and the the a acceleration is -9.81m/s^2

Correct me if I'm wrong.
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?