Projectile with Drag and g

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of semi-realistic projectile dynamics. It explores the effects of gravity and drag on a sphere thrown upwards, and the methods for finding maximum height and velocity. The use of proper language is also mentioned as important for effective communication.
sunnyguha
I was working on semi-realistic projectile dynamics.

The first thing i took was what if a sphere is thrown upwards.
g wud act downloads and there wud be drag.

Drag=1/2kv^2 (leave k for the moment) (drag depends on v)
g=g(R/R+h) (g depends on h)

projectile is fired upwards with velocity v

How do i then find the max height and v(t).

ma(deacceleration) = 1/2kv^2 + mg(R/R+h)

how do i integrate because both terms are functions of different quantites,

I would really appreciate a step by step answer
thnx :-)

Physics news on Phys.org
BTW m new here
Hi All

Hello sunnyguha! Welcome to Physics Forums.

First of all, be sure to use regular English here and not texting language. For example, "BTW m new here" should be "By the way, I am new here." Otherwise everyone will just ignore you.

If the distances over which the sphere will travel is on the order of meters, you can assume the acceleration due to Earth's gravity is constant.

1. What is the definition of "Projectile with Drag and g"?

"Projectile with Drag and g" refers to the motion of an object that is launched into the air with an initial velocity, while also experiencing the effects of air resistance (drag) and the acceleration due to gravity (g).

2. How does air resistance affect the trajectory of a projectile?

Air resistance, or drag, acts in the opposite direction of the projectile's motion and decreases its speed. This results in a shorter range and lower peak height for the projectile compared to the same object launched without air resistance.

3. What is the formula for calculating the trajectory of a projectile with drag and g?

The formula for calculating the trajectory of a projectile with drag and g is: y = (v0/g)(v0 + g/k)(1 - e^(-kt/m)) where y is the vertical position, v0 is the initial velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity, k is the drag coefficient, and m is the mass of the object.

4. How does the angle of launch affect the trajectory of a projectile with drag and g?

The angle of launch affects the trajectory of a projectile with drag and g by changing the initial vertical and horizontal velocities. A higher angle of launch will result in a longer flight time and a higher peak height, while a lower angle of launch will result in a shorter flight time and a lower peak height.

5. What are some real-life applications of projectiles with drag and g?

Some real-life applications of projectiles with drag and g include sports such as football, basketball, and golf, where players must consider the effects of air resistance and gravity on their shots. Projectile motion with drag and g is also important in the design and testing of rockets, missiles, and other flying objects.