1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof about sequence properties

1. Feb 28, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Use the Monotone convergence theorem to give a proof of the Nested interval property.
    2. Relevant equations
    Monotone convergence theorem: If a sequence is increasing or decreasing and bounded then it converges.
    Nested Interval property: If we have a closed interval [a,b] and we keep making intervals inside this and they keep getting smaller the union of all these intervals is non-empty and contains one element.
    3. The attempt at a solution
    If we started at the left endpoint of some closed interval and we had a monotonically increasing sequence and it continued on the to right with equally spaced steps, and we had a decreasing sequence that started from the right endpoint, eventually these 2 sequences will be heading towards each other and eventually reach the same common point. I think I need to be careful about how I pick the spacing between the terms in the sequence. Am I headed in the right direction with this.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 28, 2012 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

You're doing ok. You indeed have to consider the sequence of end-points. This proves that there is an element in all the nested intervals.

4. Feb 29, 2012 #3
    Ok so lets say we have a closed interval [a,b] and we have a sequence that is increasing and it starts at a and steadily goes up to b in equal steps. Now lets take this same sequence and start it at b and run it backwards b going down to a. Now if we start at a and go up to b, and each time we move from a we also move from b so we have elements that are common to all intervals because they are enclosed inside each other because the sequence is steadily increasing and decreasing. Now we have to consider where the 2 endpoints are getting close to each other, these 2 sequences will eventually reach the same point because we constructed it from the same sequence. So there will be a point that is common to all intervals. lets assume that there wasn't a point that was common to all intervals. This would imply that there was a point where the 2 sequences jumped passed each other, but this couldn't happen because the 2 sequences would have to reach the same point because we constructed them this way to make that happen.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook