1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof Help: Directional Derivatives

1. Oct 11, 2009 #1
    Prove the following is not true:

Let f : R^2->R^2 be a nonlinear function. For any vectors a,v in R^2;

f(a+v)-f(a)=[Df(a)]v

In terms of my attempt, I've been trying to find some combination of a and v that ensure this fails, but so far the best I've come up with is to start with:

[Df(a)]v=lim{h->0} (f(a+hv)-f(a))/h

And then trying to show that f(a+v)-f(a) is the same thing only as h->1; again, no luck. I really just need a hint or two as to which way to approach the proof.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2009 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

To show an equation is false you don't have to prove a big theorem. You just have to find an example where it doesn't work. Have you actually tried any examples? Take something simple with a squared term, an easy point and an easy unit vector. Almost anything you try should give a counterexample. Just show the equation you are given doesn't work using the formula for directional derivative.

4. Oct 11, 2009 #3
    Read the text; finding a counter example for one function f simply proves that it doesn't hold for that ONE function f; the problem asks to show this is true for ANY nonlinear function.

5. Oct 11, 2009 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Read the text yourself. It asks you to prove a theorem is not true.

6. Oct 11, 2009 #5

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You can use that f is non-linear. What does that mean? Either
    1) There exist x, y so that f(x+y) is NOT f(x)+f(y)

2) There exists x, c a constant so that f(cx) is NOT cf(x).

Cleverly pick your point a to be one at which f is 'not linear' so to speak (i.e. you can use a to demonstrate f is non-linear by one of these).

7. Oct 11, 2009 #6

Landau

Science Advisor

This is basic logic. You need to disprove a statement of the form "for all nonlinear functions f and vectors a,v: ...". This means finding one particular nonlinear function f and particular vectors a and v such that ... does not hold, is enough.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook