1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof in circles and tangents?

1. Sep 24, 2011 #1
    there is a circle say S1,there is a point P outside circle. Two tangents are drawn from the point P to the circle. These two tangents touches circles S1 at Q and R. A circle is made through P,Q,R. proof that circle is passing through center of S1.

I have tried to put some triangles congruent similar and some other ideas but all failed.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2011 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

For starters, I see congruent triangles (Right-angle, Hypotenuse, Side).

4. Sep 25, 2011 #3
    how?? which triangles??

5. Sep 25, 2011 #4

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

You have tangents to a circle? Then there are your right-angles.

6. Sep 25, 2011 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Draw the line from the given point to the center of the circle. Draw the radii from the center of the circle to the points of tangency. There are your triangles. Also use the fact that if two vertices of a triangle lie on the ends of a diameter of a circle and the third vertex is on the circle, then the angle at that third point is a right angle.

7. Sep 27, 2011 #6
    Obviously, the midpoint of S1P (let's call it T) is equidistant from both S1 & P (by definition of midpoint).

That is, TS1 = TP

All you need to do is first show that PQ = PR, then show that TP = TQ = TS1

8. Sep 30, 2011 #7
    this is so simple question. i did not got the point. thanks to all answerers.
    sorry for late reply.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook