Proof involving complex conjugates and Matrices

In summary, Homework Equations state that (A+B)*=A*+B* if the right hand side is just A(ij)*+B(ij)* and the left hand side is just (A+B)(ij)*. David attempted to prove this by recalling that each element of the matrix A+B looks like aij+bij and that the conjugate of a sum of numbers is the sum of the conjugates. However, he was unable to provide a proof that this equation is true for all complex numbers. He needed to clarify his definition of A* and also show that (A+B)*=A*+B* for all complex numbers.
RJLiberator
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Show that (A+B)*=A*+B*

Homework Equations

I think I am missing a property to prove this.

The Attempt at a Solution

This should be easier then I am making it out to be. But I seem to be missing one key property to do this.

A*+B* is just A(ij)*+B(ij)* = Right hand side
Left hand side is just (A+B)(ij)*

What am I missing here to make this concrete?

I've looked around the web and found things such as A(ij)* = bar(A(ji))

Physics news on Phys.org
Well you know how each element of the matrix ##A+B## looks like right? Namely its ##a_{ij}+b_{ij}## and you know that the conjugate of a sum of numbers is the sum of the conjugates.

Which makes you get that each element of the new matrix ##(A+B)^*## is ##a_{ij}^*+b_{ij}^*## which should remind you of something important

Likes RJLiberator
RJLiberator said:

Homework Statement

Show that (A+B)*=A*+B*

Homework Equations

I think I am missing a property to prove this.

The Attempt at a Solution

This should be easier then I am making it out to be. But I seem to be missing one key property to do this.

A*+B* is just A(ij)*+B(ij)* = Right hand side
Left hand side is just (A+B)(ij)*

What am I missing here to make this concrete?

I've looked around the web and found things such as A(ij)* = bar(A(ji))

What is your definition of A*? Is it the element-by-element complex conjugate of A, or is it the element-by-element complex conjugate of the transpose of A? I have seen the same notation A* used in both ways, so you really do need to clear that up.

Likes RJLiberator and davidbenari
You could prove it by definition:
Let ##H## be a Hilbert space and let ## A : H \rightarrow H ## be a bounded linear operator. Then, ## A^{*} ##, the adjoint of ##A##, is defined by the following equation: $$<Ax,y>=<x,A^{*}y> for \: all \: x,y \in H$$
Thus, you have to prove that: $$<x,(A+B)^{*}y>=<x,(A^{*}+B^{*})y> for \: all \: x,y \in H$$

Likes RJLiberator
Well you know how each element of the matrix A+B looks like right? Namely its aij+bij and you know that the conjugate of a sum of numbers is the sum of the conjugates.

Which makes you get that each element of the new matrix (A+B)∗ is a∗ij+b∗ij which should remind you of something important

Is this what we are trying to prove? Essentially?

If I say Left hand side: (Aij+Bij)*=Aij*+Bij*
and so this equals the right hand side Aij* + Bij*

Isn't that what we are just trying to prove? That would be a 2 line proof for it. That simple?

What is your definition of A*? Is it the element-by-element complex conjugate of A, or is it the element-by-element complex conjugate of the transpose of A? I have seen the same notation A* used in both ways, so you really do need to clear that up.

Most simple form used here: Element-by-element complex conjugate of A.

RJLiberator said:
Is this what we are trying to prove? Essentially?

If I say Left hand side: (Aij+Bij)*=Aij*+Bij*
and so this equals the right hand side Aij* + Bij*

Isn't that what we are just trying to prove? That would be a 2 line proof for it. That simple?

Yes it would look like that. Just think of what happens to each element. It is a simple proof after all.

Likes RJLiberator
Okay, so
A*+B*=Aij*+Bij* = Right hand side
(A+B)*=Aij*+Bij* = Left Hand side due to the conjugate of a sum of numbers is the sum of the conjugates.

0_o

Likes davidbenari
Yep

Likes RJLiberator
Thanks for your help David.

No problem, glad to help.

It`s important to keep in mind that the operator ##^{*}## also involves taking the transpose of the matrix (if you choose the appropriate basis)

RJLiberator said:
Okay, so
A*+B*=Aij*+Bij* = Right hand side
(A+B)*=Aij*+Bij* = Left Hand side due to the conjugate of a sum of numbers is the sum of the conjugates.
Your confusion probably arises because you're not paying enough attention to details, which is suggested by what you've written. For example, A*+B* isn't equal to Aij* + Bij*. A*+B* is a matrix. Aij* + Bij* is a number. It's not correct to say the two are equal. A clue is that neither i nor j appear on the lefthand side of the equation.

It's probably been established (or assumed) in your class that if z and w are complex numbers, then (z+w)* = z* + w*. It's not "obvious" that the same relationship holds with a completely different type of object. When you write A*+B*, the + and * mean completely different things than the + and * in z* + w* because A and B are completely different mathematical objects than z and w. Recognizing this should help you understand what you need to show.

Likes RJLiberator
Good post Vela.

What I got from this is that I need to show that the ij'th components from each side are equal. We actually proved that the conjugate of a sum of numbers is the sum of the conjugates earlier in the assignment, so I will use that to finish off this proof.
I think you are right with where the confusion was, and I now feel very good about this proof.

The right hand side is pretty straight forward when looking at the ij'th components.
The left hand side, I have to first say that I am looking at the ij'th component, and then apply the earlier proof, to show that the left hand side is indeed equal to the right hand side.

And this makes 100% sense to me now .
Kind Regards

RJLiberator said:
I think you are right with where the confusion was, and I now feel very good about this proof.
Glad it was helpful. After I posted, I reread your original post and wondered if perhaps you were clear on that and were just being a little sloppy, but I remember being confused the same way when I was first encountered proofs like these.

Likes RJLiberator

1. What is a complex conjugate?

A complex conjugate of a given complex number is another complex number that has the same real part but an opposite imaginary part. For example, the complex conjugate of 3+4i is 3-4i.

2. Why do we use complex conjugates in proofs involving matrices?

Complex conjugates are used in proofs involving matrices because they help us simplify and manipulate complex expressions involving matrices. This allows us to solve equations and prove theorems more easily.

3. How are complex conjugates used to find the inverse of a matrix?

To find the inverse of a matrix, we use the formula A^-1 = (1/det(A)) * adj(A), where det(A) is the determinant of the matrix A and adj(A) is the adjugate of A. The adjugate of A is found by taking the complex conjugate of the transpose of A.

4. Can complex conjugates be used with all types of matrices?

Yes, complex conjugates can be used with all types of matrices, including square matrices, rectangular matrices, and complex-valued matrices. They are particularly useful in proofs involving matrices with complex entries.

5. How do complex conjugates affect the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of a matrix?

Complex conjugates do not affect the eigenvalues of a matrix, but they can change the eigenvectors. If a matrix has complex eigenvalues, the corresponding eigenvectors will also be complex conjugates of each other.