1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof involving cross products

1. Sep 2, 2009 #1
    So I'm an engineering student and we're doing some work with tensors and indicial notation, and I came across something that I know is true but couldn't think of how to prove. I don't need it for hw or anything it's just a curiosity thing. OK, so

Basically take a set of axes, 3 perpendicular vectors, call them A B and C
    Prove (AXC)'dot'(BXC) = 0 (ie the vectors are perpendicular, X stands for cross product)

It seems like it should be really obvious but I can't think of how to solve it like a proof... I'm probably gonna feel like a moron when somebody answers but whatever.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 2, 2009 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

If A,B and C are perpendicular.

What vector does AxC give? What vector does BxC give? Knowing that when when you find the cross-product of two vectors, you get a vector perpendicular to the plane containing the two crossed vectors.

4. Sep 2, 2009 #3
    Yeah I guess it was a stupid question I was just trying to think of how I would write it down on paper.

5. Sep 2, 2009 #4

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Well you could just write it as AxC =B and BxC=A, B.A = 0. You can probably expand (AxC).(BxC) and get it out. But that takes too much time in case you don't know what a.(bxc) equals.

6. Sep 3, 2009 #5
    Since you mentioned tensors and indices, are you supposed to use the http://folk.uio.no/patricg/teaching/a112/levi-civita/index.html" [Broken]?

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  7. Sep 9, 2009 #6

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

A X C is perpendicular to the plane of A and C so is parallel to B. B X C is perpendicular to B so it is perpendicular to A X C. That's why the dot product is 0.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook