1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof involving group of permutations of {1,2,3,4}.

1. Feb 10, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let ##\sigma_4## denote the group of permutations of ##\{1,2,3,4\}## and consider the following elements in ##\sigma_4##:

##x=\bigg(\begin{matrix}1&&2&&3&&4\\2&&1&&4&&3\end{matrix}\bigg);~~~~~~~~~y=\bigg(\begin{matrix}1&&2&&3&&4\\3&&4&&1&&2\end{matrix}\bigg)##
    ##\sigma=\bigg(\begin{matrix}1&&2&&3&&4\\2&&3&&1&&4\end{matrix}\bigg);~~~~~~~~~\tau=\bigg(\begin{matrix}1&&2&&3&&4\\2&&1&&3&&4\end{matrix}\bigg)##

and put ##K=\{1,x,y,xy\},~~~~~~~ Q=\{1,\sigma,\sigma^2,\tau,\sigma \tau,\sigma^2\tau\}##

Show that if ##q\in Q## and ##k\in K## then ##qkq^{-1}\in K##.

2. Relevant equations

I have shown ##K## and ##Q## are subgroups of ##\sigma_4## that ##\sigma_4=KQ=\{kq~~;~~k\in K,~q\in Q\}##.

And I have found the following relations: ##x^2=1,y^2=1,yx=xy;~~\sigma^3=1,\tau^2=1,\tau\sigma=\sigma^2\tau##

3. The attempt at a solution

I would go through and calculate ##qkq^{-1}## for each ##k## and each ##q## but I know there must be a shorter way. Do you know of it?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 10, 2016 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Just check the relation for the (sub)group generators. You do not need to check every element.

4. Feb 10, 2016 #3
    Ok thanks. So I only need to calculate ##\sigma x (\sigma)^{-1},~\tau x (\tau)^{-1}, \sigma y (\sigma)^{-1} \text{ and } \tau y (\tau)^{-1}##?

5. Feb 10, 2016 #4

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Right. You should however think about and convince yourself why this is sufficient as well.

6. Feb 10, 2016 #5

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Also a personal preference: I would suggest you learn and start using the more short-hand notation for the symmetric groups in terms of cycles. In this notation, your elements would be
    $$
    x = (12)(34), \ y = (13)(24), \ \sigma = (123), \ \tau = (12).
    $$
    It really simplifies performing the group multiplications as well.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted