Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Proof involving linear transformation of a set of vectors

1. Sep 29, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let T:[tex]\Re^{n}[/tex][tex]\rightarrow[/tex][tex]\Re^{m}[/tex] and let S={u,v,w}[tex]\in[/tex][tex]\Re^{n}[/tex].

If S is linearly dependent, show that {T(u), T(v), T(w)} is also linearly dependent.

2. Relevant equations
    N/A

3. The attempt at a solution
    Since S[tex]\in[/tex][tex]\Re^{n}[/tex] then S`[tex]\in[/tex][tex]\Re^{m}[/tex].
    Not sure where to go from here
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2010 #2
    If the set of vectors are dependent you can find a linear relationship between them.

What happens to this linear relationship under the map T?

4. Sep 29, 2010 #3
    If p(t) is the linear relationship between the vectors in S, does that mean that T[p(t)] is the linear relationship between the vectors in S`?

If so I guess that proves that S` is also linearly dependent since there exists the linear relationship T[p(t)] between its elements.

5. Sep 30, 2010 #4
    Look up the definition of linear dependence.

6. Sep 30, 2010 #5
    Something is lacking in your statement of the problem. Is T supposed to be a linear map? You did not say so.

7. Sep 30, 2010 #6

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

Don't ask, work it out. Your "p(t) is the linear relationship" is what Ziox suggested you look up- the definition of "linearly dependent". If vectors, u, v, and w are linearly dependent, then there exist numbers, a, b, c, not all 0, such that au+ bv+ cw= 0.

Now look at T(au+ bv+ cw)= T(0).

As Arkajad suggested, you will need to specify that T is a linear transformation (which you do in a later post).

8. Sep 30, 2010 #7
    Aha! I think I have it.

Since T is a linear transformation, T(0)=0, and T(au+ bv+ cw)=aT(u)+bT(v)+cT(w)=0

Since there exists scalars, a, b, c, not all 0, such that the above equation is true, S` is linearly dependent.

I cant believe I missed that even after ZioX's advice, guess I needed a study break. Thanks guys.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook