Proof nowhere-dense of a closure's complement

• Thread starter thekirk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of nowhere dense sets in ℝ and the need for help in proving a lemma related to it. The definition of nowhere dense is mentioned as well as the use of formulae involving closure and interior.
thekirk

Homework Statement

A set E in ℝ is nowhere dense if and only if the closure of E's complement(E with a line over it) is dense in ℝ

Homework Equations

I need help proving this lemma. I'm not entirely sure where to start.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know we have to proof it two ways, backwards and forwards. For the forward, all I can think to use if the fact that the closure of E complement contains no nonempty open intervals, but I don't know where to go with that.

Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
First, how did you define "nowhere dense"??

Second, do you know the following formula's:

[tex]cl(X\setminus E)=X\setminus int(E)~\text{and}~int(X\setminus E) = X\setminus cl(E)[/tex]

These equalities will prove to be handy. Try to prove them!

Note: cl means closure and int means interior.

micromass-

I have never seen that equation before.

I have nowhere dense defined as: a set E in ℝ is nowhere dense if the closure of E contains no non-empty intervals.

I will look at those equations and see what I can do. Thank you!

1. What does it mean for a set to be nowhere-dense?

A set is said to be nowhere-dense if it does not contain any open subset that is also dense in the space. This means that the set is "spread out" and does not accumulate in any specific area.

2. How is nowhere-dense related to the closure's complement?

The nowhere-dense property of a set is closely related to the complement of its closure. In fact, a set is nowhere-dense if and only if its complement contains a dense open subset. This is because the closure of a set includes all of its accumulation points, and a nowhere-dense set does not have any accumulation points.

3. Can you provide an example of a set that is nowhere-dense?

One example of a nowhere-dense set is the set of rational numbers within the interval [0,1]. This set is nowhere-dense in the real numbers because it does not contain any open interval and therefore cannot accumulate in any specific area.

4. How is the proof of nowhere-dense of a closure's complement typically done?

The proof of nowhere-dense of a closure's complement involves showing that the complement contains a dense open subset. This can be done by constructing a sequence of open sets that are contained in the complement and using the fact that the closure of a set is the smallest closed set containing it.

5. Why is the concept of nowhere-dense important in mathematics?

The nowhere-dense property is important in mathematics because it helps us understand the structure and behavior of sets within a larger space. It also allows us to make certain statements about the density of a set and its complement, which can have important implications in various fields such as topology and measure theory.