Proving closure and boundary points

In summary, the problem is to prove that the closure of S, denoted as \overline{S}, is equal to the set \{(x_1,x_2):x_1^2+x_2^2\le 1\}. This can be shown by proving that \overline{S} is closed and that every point in \overline{S} is also in the closure of S. This shows that \overline{S} is the smallest closed set that contains S.
muzak

Homework Statement

Let S = {(x,y): x[itex]^{2}[/itex]+y[itex]^{2}[/itex]<1}. Prove that [itex]\overline{S}[/itex] is (that formula for the unit circle) [itex]\leq[/itex] 1 and the boundary to be x[itex]^{2}[/itex]+y[itex]^{2}[/itex]=1.

Homework Equations

Boundary of S is denoted as the intersection of the closure of S and the closure of S complement.
p [itex]\epsilon[/itex] boundary of S iff for every r > 0, B(p;r)[itex]\cap[/itex]S is non-empty and B(p;r)[itex]\cap[/itex]S complement is non-empty.

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand this conceptually and it's obvious that the boundary and closure are those equations respectively but I don't know how to translate that into a math proof. I wasn't exactly given any concrete examples and how to apply the theorems into a proof, was only presented with the theorems.

Physics news on Phys.org
We know that the closure of S contains all of S, so you just need to show that it also contains points with [tex]x^2+y^2=1[/tex] as well. There are two parts to this:
1) Show if [tex]x^2+y^2=1[/tex] then [tex](x,y)\in \overline{S}[/tex]
2) Show if [tex]x^2+y^2>1[/tex] then [tex] (x,y)\notin \overline{S}[/tex]

It may help to write down different equivalent definitions of the closure of S when approaching this problem

Hi!

I am also stuck on this question. Could we also show the set [itex]\overline{S}=\{(x_1,x_2):x_1^2+x_2^2\le 1\}[/itex] is the closure of [itex]S=\{(x_1,x_2):x_1^2+x_2^2< 1\}[/itex] by showing that [itex](1)[/itex] [itex]\overline{S}[/itex] is closed, and [itex](2)[/itex] each point in [itex]\overline{S}[/itex] is in the closure of [itex]S[/itex]? To me, that would show that [itex]\overline{S}[/itex] is the smallest closed set that contains [itex]S[/itex], since adding more elements to [itex]\overline{S}[/itex] would result in a larger closed set that contains [itex]S[/itex]. Is this correct thinking?

Thanks!

Bijan

Last edited:
Yes, that would work.

Thanks, I believe I figured it out!

1. What is the definition of closure and boundary points?

The closure of a set is the set itself and all of its limit points. The boundary points of a set are the points that are neither entirely inside nor entirely outside the set.

2. How do you prove closure of a set?

To prove closure of a set, you must show that all limit points of the set are contained within the set itself. This can be done by showing that every sequence in the set converges to a point within the set.

3. What is the importance of proving closure and boundary points?

Proving closure and boundary points is important in mathematics and science as it helps to determine the completeness and compactness of a set. It also allows for the analysis of convergence and continuity of functions.

4. Can closure and boundary points be proven for all sets?

No, closure and boundary points can only be proven for certain types of sets, such as closed and compact sets. Sets that are not closed or compact may not have a well-defined closure or boundary points.

5. Are there any practical applications of proving closure and boundary points?

Yes, proving closure and boundary points can have practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science. It can be used to analyze the behavior of systems and ensure the accuracy of numerical methods.