1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving closure and boundary points

1. Sep 25, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let S = {(x,y): x[itex]^{2}[/itex]+y[itex]^{2}[/itex]<1}. Prove that [itex]\overline{S}[/itex] is (that formula for the unit circle) [itex]\leq[/itex] 1 and the boundary to be x[itex]^{2}[/itex]+y[itex]^{2}[/itex]=1.

2. Relevant equations
    Boundary of S is denoted as the intersection of the closure of S and the closure of S complement.
    p [itex]\epsilon[/itex] boundary of S iff for every r > 0, B(p;r)[itex]\cap[/itex]S is non-empty and B(p;r)[itex]\cap[/itex]S complement is non-empty.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I understand this conceptually and it's obvious that the boundary and closure are those equations respectively but I don't know how to translate that into a math proof. I wasn't exactly given any concrete examples and how to apply the theorems into a proof, was only presented with the theorems.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2011 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

We know that the closure of S contains all of S, so you just need to show that it also contains points with [tex]x^2+y^2=1[/tex] as well. There are two parts to this:
    1) Show if [tex]x^2+y^2=1[/tex] then [tex](x,y)\in \overline{S}[/tex]
    2) Show if [tex]x^2+y^2>1[/tex] then [tex] (x,y)\notin \overline{S}[/tex]

It may help to write down different equivalent definitions of the closure of S when approaching this problem

4. Sep 25, 2011 #3
    Hi!

I am also stuck on this question. Could we also show the set [itex]\overline{S}=\{(x_1,x_2):x_1^2+x_2^2\le 1\}[/itex] is the closure of [itex]S=\{(x_1,x_2):x_1^2+x_2^2< 1\}[/itex] by showing that [itex](1)[/itex] [itex]\overline{S}[/itex] is closed, and [itex](2)[/itex] each point in [itex]\overline{S}[/itex] is in the closure of [itex]S[/itex]? To me, that would show that [itex]\overline{S}[/itex] is the smallest closed set that contains [itex]S[/itex], since adding more elements to [itex]\overline{S}[/itex] would result in a larger closed set that contains [itex]S[/itex]. Is this correct thinking?

Thanks!

Bijan

Last edited: Sep 25, 2011
  5. Sep 25, 2011 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, that would work.

6. Sep 26, 2011 #5
    Thanks, I believe I figured it out!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook