1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof of a (simple) integro-differential formula

1. Jan 3, 2013 #1
    I'm working through a paper and trying to prove the following (dear god.... )
    [itex]\frac{d}{dt}\int_0^t e^{\alpha (t-x)}f(x)dx = f(t) + \alpha\int_0^t e^{\alpha (t-x)}f(x)dx[/itex]
    I have tried three different ways, either by direct manipulations (integration by parts maybe?), or by using the definition of the derivative and taking the limit (should work, but I'm not even getting close), and by switching the order of integration-differentiation (not going to work).

If you manage to show it, please give me some intermediate results or a complete solution if it's short...

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 3, 2013 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Try the Leibniz integral rule. Link for Wikipedia article.

4. Jan 3, 2013 #3
    Thank you very much, the problem is solved by straightforwardly applying this general version of the Leibniz formula.
    When walking home I had even thought about it for a brief moment, but I have never seen it before in this form with variable limits (which is what I need).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook