1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof of abelian-ness if every element is also its own inverse

1. Oct 15, 2010 #1
    Salutations! I just want to make sure I am on the right track...

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let G be a group. Prove that if every element in a group is equal to its own inverse, then G is abelian

2. The attempt at a solution

Pick two elements [itex] a, b \in \thinspace G[/itex]. By assumption, [itex]a = a^{-1}[/itex] and [itex] b = b^{-1}[/itex]. Our goal is to show that [itex] ab = ba[/itex]. By our assumption, the following holds
    [itex]
    ab = a^{-1}b^{-1}
    [/itex]
    Since G is a group, it is closed under inverses, therefore we can take the inverse of both sides
    [itex]
    (ab)^{-1} = \bigl (a^{-1} b^{-1} \bigl )^{-1} = \bigl (b^{-1} \bigl )^{-1} \bigl (a^{-1} \bigl )^{-1} = ba
    [/itex]

Thanks!

Last edited: Oct 15, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2010 #2
    ab is an element of G, what does that mean (ab)^-1 is by assumption?

4. Oct 15, 2010 #3
    Oh! By assumption [itex] ab = (ab)^{-1} [\latex] as well. That definitely makes this a simple one-liner when I apply the inverse and initial assumpition to the right side. Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?