Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Proof of an inner product space

1. Oct 3, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove that the normed linear space [tex]l_{\infty}^{2}[/tex] is not an inner product space.

2. Relevant equations
    parallelogram law;
    [tex]\left\|x+y\right\|^2+\left\|x-y\right\|^2=2\left\|x\right\|^2+2\left\|y\right\|^2[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    Well, I tried to apply parallelogram law to the [tex]l_{\infty}^{2}[/tex] space where

[tex]x=(\alpha^1,\alpha^2)[/tex] and [tex]y=(\beta^1,\beta^2)\in l_{\infty}^{2} [/tex] .

[tex]\left\|x\right\|=max\left\{\left|\alpha^1\right|,\left|\alpha^2\right|\right\} and

\left\|y\right\|=max\left\{\left|\beta^1\right|,\left|\beta^2\right|\right\} [/tex]

If one puts these norms into the parallelogram law equation, one gets a fuzzy expression on both sides of the equation, therefore it is important to put out expressions inside the max{} function which I could not achieve to do.

Is there another method to solve this problem or am I misapplying the law to [tex]l_{\infty}^{2}[/tex] space?

Last edited: Oct 3, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 3, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You only need a counterexample to show it's not an inner product space. Start putting some actual numbers in for the alphas and betas.

4. Oct 3, 2008 #3
    Is it a mathematically correct method?

5. Oct 3, 2008 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What would not be 'mathematical' or 'correct' about it? If I claim all primes are odd, and somebody points out 2 is even, that's enough to prove me wrong. Just do it.

6. Oct 3, 2008 #5

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

Yes, as Dick said, proving that a general statement is NOT true by counterexample is a perfectly correct method.

7. Oct 3, 2008 #6
    thanks for the post!

8. Oct 3, 2008 #7
    well,
    I tried the parallelogram law for x=(0,3) and y=(2,5) and it perfectly worked on both sides of the equation.
    Should I choose the complex field for that space?

What's wrong with that?

Last edited: Oct 3, 2008
  9. Oct 3, 2008 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You must have put some effort in to find a case where it works. Almost all other cases don't work. Like x=(1,0) and y=(0,1). It has to work for all cases or your norm doesn't come from an inner product.

10. Oct 3, 2008 #9
    Finally, It worked :)
    I thought any ordered pair would work as a counterexample.

Thanks a lot!

11. Oct 5, 2008 #10

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

No, and ordered pair won't work because R2 DOES make a inner product space. This question was about [itex]l_\infty^2[/itex]. Your counterexample must be from that space. What are the vectors in that space?

12. Oct 5, 2008 #11

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I took it to be R^2 with the max norm. You think it's bounded functions on R^2, right? It's still pretty easy to find a counterexample with bounded functions.

13. Oct 5, 2008 #12
    I have no clue whether one must use a bounded function or not in order to prove that.

14. Oct 5, 2008 #13

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The question is, what is the definition of the space l^2_infinity? Can you tell us what it is?

15. Oct 12, 2008 #14
    Sorry for so late reply:

The definition of [tex]l_{\infty}^{n} [/tex] :
    On the linear space [tex]V_{n}(F) [/tex] with the infinity norm defined by
    [tex]\left\|x\right\|_p=\left[\sum^{\infty}_{i=1}\left|\alpha^{i}\right|^p\right]^{1/p}[/tex]

where [tex] x=(\alpha^i) [/tex].
    The corresponding linear space to this norm is denoted by [tex]l_{\infty}^{n} [/tex].

Last edited: Oct 12, 2008
  16. Oct 12, 2008 #15

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

No, I was assuming infinite sequences {an} such that {a2n} was summable.

17. Oct 12, 2008 #16
    so [tex]l_{\infty}^{2} [/tex] defines that norm which is basically the square of root total sum of square of each element of 2 vectors defined over R^2 field.

Eventually , I think that you're example is correct, but besides I have no idea about whether functions defined in [tex]l_{\infty}^{2} [/tex] is bounded or not (since I didn't take any real analysis course during undergrad.)

18. Oct 12, 2008 #17

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't think that's what the problem is supposed to be about.

19. Oct 12, 2008 #18

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think what you just described is l^2_2. The 'infinity' usually designates a max norm (supremum) rather than a power root norm.

20. Oct 12, 2008 #19
    oh, ****!

you're right , It was supposed to be max norm! I miswrote the definition.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook