1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof of an inner product space

1. Oct 3, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove that the normed linear space [tex]l_{\infty}^{2}[/tex] is not an inner product space.

2. Relevant equations
    parallelogram law;
    [tex]\left\|x+y\right\|^2+\left\|x-y\right\|^2=2\left\|x\right\|^2+2\left\|y\right\|^2[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    Well, I tried to apply parallelogram law to the [tex]l_{\infty}^{2}[/tex] space where

[tex]x=(\alpha^1,\alpha^2)[/tex] and [tex]y=(\beta^1,\beta^2)\in l_{\infty}^{2} [/tex] .

[tex]\left\|x\right\|=max\left\{\left|\alpha^1\right|,\left|\alpha^2\right|\right\} and

\left\|y\right\|=max\left\{\left|\beta^1\right|,\left|\beta^2\right|\right\} [/tex]

If one puts these norms into the parallelogram law equation, one gets a fuzzy expression on both sides of the equation, therefore it is important to put out expressions inside the max{} function which I could not achieve to do.

Is there another method to solve this problem or am I misapplying the law to [tex]l_{\infty}^{2}[/tex] space?

Last edited: Oct 3, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 3, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You only need a counterexample to show it's not an inner product space. Start putting some actual numbers in for the alphas and betas.

4. Oct 3, 2008 #3
    Is it a mathematically correct method?

5. Oct 3, 2008 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What would not be 'mathematical' or 'correct' about it? If I claim all primes are odd, and somebody points out 2 is even, that's enough to prove me wrong. Just do it.

6. Oct 3, 2008 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, as Dick said, proving that a general statement is NOT true by counterexample is a perfectly correct method.

7. Oct 3, 2008 #6
    thanks for the post!

8. Oct 3, 2008 #7
    well,
    I tried the parallelogram law for x=(0,3) and y=(2,5) and it perfectly worked on both sides of the equation.
    Should I choose the complex field for that space?

What's wrong with that?

Last edited: Oct 3, 2008
  9. Oct 3, 2008 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You must have put some effort in to find a case where it works. Almost all other cases don't work. Like x=(1,0) and y=(0,1). It has to work for all cases or your norm doesn't come from an inner product.

10. Oct 3, 2008 #9
    Finally, It worked :)
    I thought any ordered pair would work as a counterexample.

Thanks a lot!

11. Oct 5, 2008 #10

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, and ordered pair won't work because R2 DOES make a inner product space. This question was about [itex]l_\infty^2[/itex]. Your counterexample must be from that space. What are the vectors in that space?

12. Oct 5, 2008 #11

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I took it to be R^2 with the max norm. You think it's bounded functions on R^2, right? It's still pretty easy to find a counterexample with bounded functions.

13. Oct 5, 2008 #12
    I have no clue whether one must use a bounded function or not in order to prove that.

14. Oct 5, 2008 #13

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The question is, what is the definition of the space l^2_infinity? Can you tell us what it is?

15. Oct 12, 2008 #14
    Sorry for so late reply:

The definition of [tex]l_{\infty}^{n} [/tex] :
    On the linear space [tex]V_{n}(F) [/tex] with the infinity norm defined by
    [tex]\left\|x\right\|_p=\left[\sum^{\infty}_{i=1}\left|\alpha^{i}\right|^p\right]^{1/p}[/tex]

where [tex] x=(\alpha^i) [/tex].
    The corresponding linear space to this norm is denoted by [tex]l_{\infty}^{n} [/tex].

Last edited: Oct 12, 2008
  16. Oct 12, 2008 #15

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, I was assuming infinite sequences {an} such that {a2n} was summable.

17. Oct 12, 2008 #16
    so [tex]l_{\infty}^{2} [/tex] defines that norm which is basically the square of root total sum of square of each element of 2 vectors defined over R^2 field.

Eventually , I think that you're example is correct, but besides I have no idea about whether functions defined in [tex]l_{\infty}^{2} [/tex] is bounded or not (since I didn't take any real analysis course during undergrad.)

18. Oct 12, 2008 #17

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't think that's what the problem is supposed to be about.

19. Oct 12, 2008 #18

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think what you just described is l^2_2. The 'infinity' usually designates a max norm (supremum) rather than a power root norm.

20. Oct 12, 2008 #19
    oh, ****!

you're right , It was supposed to be max norm! I miswrote the definition.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?