Proof of cos(θ +ϕ)=cosθ cosϕ - sinθsinϕ via Cartesian Orthogonal Triad

• Thread starter Angello90
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary, the scalar product of a and b can be found by taking the dot product of a vector with itself and then multiplying by cos(θ+ϕ).
Angello90

Homework Statement

Derive an expression for the scalar product of a and b if the two vectors are written in terms of the usual Cartesian orthogonal triad i, j, k.
By an appropriate choice of a and b, verify the trigonometric identity

cos(θ +ϕ) = cosθ cosϕ − sinθsinϕ

Homework Equations

a.b=|a||b|Cosθ

The Attempt at a Solution

So dot product in Cartesian is:

a=(x1)i + (x2)j + (x3)k
b=(y1)i + (y2)j + (y3)k

(x1)(y1) + (x2)(y2) + (x3)(y3) = ((x1)^2+(x2)^2+(x3)^2)^(1/2)((y1)^2+(y2)^2+(y3)^2)^(1/2)Cosθ

But how can I use this to prove the identity mentioned above?

Please send me some ideas.

Cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
It's a lot easier, if you leave out the third dimension for now.
Try drawing the unit circle and see if you can find some vectors whose |a||b|cos(angle) equals cos(θ +ϕ). Now find the cartesian notation for these two vectors and dot them like you wrote. You should see the result come from thin air about now.

Ok so I draw this (attachment), and I assigned A= 2i+j and B=i+2j

for |a||b|Cosθ I ended up with ((5)^1/2)((5)^1/2)(4/5) = 4

but for the Cos(ϕ+ɣ) I got 3/5

are angles wrong?

Attachments

• Untitled-1 copy.jpg
    Untitled-1 copy.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 405
Euhm, i don't know about the numbers, but try to make it more abstract.
Don't necessarily assign numbers to the vectors, but just symbols.
For instance, if the vector A is ( Cosθ , Sinθ ), then what? What other vector (which is a little like this one) could you use to prove it?

could B be (Cosϕ, Sinϕ)?

Since the sizes are 1, |a||b|cos(angle) gives Cos(θ - ϕ) and the usual dot product gives a.b=CosθCosϕ+SinθSinϕ.. since the two are equal, you've showed that Cos(θ - ϕ)=CosθCosϕ+SinθSinϕ. But that's just a minus away from the result. Remember, that sin(-ɣ)=-sin(ɣ) and cos(-ɣ)=cos(ɣ).

Ok thanks for the help. At least now I understand it a little bit better.

Cheers

1. How is cos(θ + ϕ) derived from the Cartesian Orthogonal Triad?

The proof of cos(θ + ϕ) = cosθ cosϕ - sinθ sinϕ via Cartesian Orthogonal Triad is derived by using the Pythagorean theorem and the trigonometric identities for cosine and sine. By representing the Cartesian Orthogonal Triad as a right triangle, the Pythagorean theorem can be applied to find the length of the hypotenuse, which is equal to the magnitude of the vector cos(θ + ϕ). Then, by using the trigonometric identities for cosine and sine, the proof follows.

2. Can the proof be applied to other trigonometric functions?

No, the proof is specifically for the cosine function. However, similar proofs can be constructed for other trigonometric functions using the same principles and identities.

3. Is this proof commonly used in scientific research?

Yes, this proof is commonly used in various fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and mathematics. It is a fundamental concept in understanding the relationship between trigonometric functions and the Cartesian Orthogonal Triad.

4. What are some real-world applications of this proof?

This proof has various real-world applications, including in navigation systems, robotics, and computer graphics. It allows for the accurate calculation of angles and vectors, which is essential in these fields.

5. Are there any limitations to this proof?

This proof is limited to the specific relationship between cos(θ + ϕ) and the Cartesian Orthogonal Triad. It cannot be applied to other mathematical concepts or equations. Additionally, it is only valid for right triangles and cannot be extended to other shapes.