Proof of det of a matrix with submatrices

In summary, "Proof of det of a matrix with submatrices" is a mathematical concept used to efficiently calculate the determinant of large matrices by breaking them down into smaller submatrices. Understanding this concept is important as it provides insights into the properties of determinants. To calculate the determinant using submatrices, the matrix is divided into smaller submatrices and the properties of determinants are used to simplify the calculation. Some key properties of this concept include the determinant of a matrix with submatrices being equal to the product of the determinants of each submatrix and that it is equal to the determinant of the original matrix multiplied by a scalar factor. "Proof of det of a matrix with submatrices" is commonly used in linear
Hernaner28

Homework Statement

PROBLEM 1:
Let A,B,C,D four matrices nxn which are submatrices of matrix 2nx2n:
[tex]E = \left( {\begin{array}{*{20}{c}}
A&B\\
C&D
\end{array}} \right)[/tex]

PROBLEM 2:

Let A a matrix nxn, B a matrix nxm and C a matrix mxm. O is the null matrix mxn.

Homework Equations

PROOF 1:
Say whether it's false or true that:
[tex]\det (E) = \det (A)\det (D) - \det (B)\det (C)[/tex]

PROOF 2:
Proof that:
[tex]\det \left( {\begin{array}{*{20}{c}}
A&B\\
O&C
\end{array}} \right) = \det (A)\det (C)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

No idea how to start. I know this is true for numbers but how can I make it generic for matrix? Just an idea?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
What's your definition of det?

Dick said:
What's your definition of det?

Well, we defined it first by taking the column numbers:

[tex]|A| = {( - 1)^{1 + 1}}{a_{11}}\left| {{A_{11}}} \right| + ... + {( - 1)^{i + 1}}{a_{i1}}\left| {{A_{i1}}} \right| + ... + {( - 1)^{n + 1}}{a_{n1}}\left| {{A_{n1}}} \right|[/tex]

also for rows..

Thanks!

BTW, what is this for? This is not a definition for submatrices but numbers.

Last edited:
No idea?

Hernaner28 said:
Well, we defined it first by taking the column numbers:

[tex]|A| = {( - 1)^{1 + 1}}{a_{11}}\left| {{A_{11}}} \right| + ... + {( - 1)^{i + 1}}{a_{i1}}\left| {{A_{i1}}} \right| + ... + {( - 1)^{n + 1}}{a_{n1}}\left| {{A_{n1}}} \right|[/tex]
That's not a definition until you tell what [itex]|A_{ij}|[/itex] means! And, you cannot define them as determinants in a definition of "determinants".

also for rows..

Thanks!

BTW, what is this for? This is not a definition for submatrices but numbers.
Do you believe it is not necessary to know what a "determinant" is to prove something about a determinants?

So, what's the definition? That's the one I have on my book. Just copied it.

Thanks!

PD: We defined the determinant of a matrix 2x2 as ad-bc and then we defined a 3x3 matrix and so on...

Hernaner28 said:
So, what's the definition? That's the one I have on my book. Just copied it.

Thanks!

PD: We defined the determinant of a matrix 2x2 as ad-bc and then we defined a 3x3 matrix and so on...

I was hoping you had a definition more like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Determinant in the "nxn matrices" section. You sum the products of elements from every row and column times a permutation factor. If you apply that to proof 2 you can see that none of the nonzero contribution to the determinant comes from B. So you may as well put B=0 as well. Now you can reduce the matrix to upper triangular without mixing A and C.

It should be easy enough to find a counterexample for Proof 1.

1. What is "Proof of det of a matrix with submatrices"?

"Proof of det of a matrix with submatrices" is a mathematical concept that involves calculating the determinant of a matrix by breaking it down into smaller submatrices.

2. Why is it important to understand "Proof of det of a matrix with submatrices"?

Understanding "Proof of det of a matrix with submatrices" is important because it allows us to efficiently calculate the determinant of large matrices and also provides insights into the properties of determinants.

3. How do you calculate the determinant of a matrix using submatrices?

To calculate the determinant of a matrix using submatrices, you first divide the matrix into smaller submatrices. Then, you use the properties of determinants to simplify the calculation by adding or subtracting the determinants of these submatrices.

4. What are some key properties of "Proof of det of a matrix with submatrices"?

Some key properties of "Proof of det of a matrix with submatrices" include the fact that the determinant of a matrix with submatrices is equal to the product of the determinants of each submatrix, and that the determinant of a matrix with submatrices is equal to the determinant of the original matrix multiplied by a scalar factor.

5. Where is "Proof of det of a matrix with submatrices" commonly used?

"Proof of det of a matrix with submatrices" is commonly used in linear algebra, especially in the calculation of eigenvalues and eigenvectors, solving systems of linear equations, and in other areas of mathematics such as calculus and differential equations.