1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof of det of a matrix with submatrices

1. Apr 11, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    PROBLEM 1:
    Let A,B,C,D four matrices nxn which are submatrices of matrix 2nx2n:
    [tex]E = \left( {\begin{array}{*{20}{c}}
    A&B\\
    C&D
    \end{array}} \right)[/tex]

PROBLEM 2:

Let A a matrix nxn, B a matrix nxm and C a matrix mxm. O is the null matrix mxn.

2. Relevant equations
    PROOF 1:
    Say whether it's false or true that:
    [tex]\det (E) = \det (A)\det (D) - \det (B)\det (C)[/tex]

PROOF 2:
    Proof that:
    [tex]\det \left( {\begin{array}{*{20}{c}}
    A&B\\
    O&C
    \end{array}} \right) = \det (A)\det (C)[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    No idea how to start. I know this is true for numbers but how can I make it generic for matrix? Just an idea?

Thanks!!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What's your definition of det?

4. Apr 11, 2012 #3
    Well, we defined it first by taking the column numbers:

[tex]|A| = {( - 1)^{1 + 1}}{a_{11}}\left| {{A_{11}}} \right| + ... + {( - 1)^{i + 1}}{a_{i1}}\left| {{A_{i1}}} \right| + ... + {( - 1)^{n + 1}}{a_{n1}}\left| {{A_{n1}}} \right|[/tex]

also for rows..

Thanks!

BTW, what is this for? This is not a definition for submatrices but numbers.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
  5. Apr 12, 2012 #4
    No idea?

6. Apr 12, 2012 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

That's not a definition until you tell what [itex]|A_{ij}|[/itex] means! And, you cannot define them as determinants in a definition of "determinants".

Do you believe it is not necessary to know what a "determinant" is to prove something about a determinants?

7. Apr 12, 2012 #6
    So, what's the definition? That's the one I have on my book. Just copied it.

Thanks!

PD: We defined the determinant of a matrix 2x2 as ad-bc and then we defined a 3x3 matrix and so on...

8. Apr 12, 2012 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I was hoping you had a definition more like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Determinant in the "nxn matrices" section. You sum the products of elements from every row and column times a permutation factor. If you apply that to proof 2 you can see that none of the nonzero contribution to the determinant comes from B. So you may as well put B=0 as well. Now you can reduce the matrix to upper triangular without mixing A and C.

It should be easy enough to find a counterexample for Proof 1.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook