What is the Proof of Differentiation for nx^n-1?

In summary, hi Roger is looking for the rigorous proof of the formula for differentiation nx^n-1 and is considering using the Binomial Theorem or the general Binomial expansion to prove it. He asks for clarification and mentions using the natural logarithm to turn exponents into products. Daniel provides his own formula and they discuss its validity for real and complex exponents. They also mention using the principle of cancellation to prove it for all reals and the use of the Pochhammer symbol in the binomial expansion.
roger
hi

I'm in a bit of a hurry but I'm looking for the proof or derivation of the formula for differentiation :
nx^n-1

I don't mean to show it works for all (most) functions but where it comes from
Thanks

Roger

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You can prove it for positive integral n using the Binomial Theorem.

Hint : consider [tex](x + \delta x)^n - x^n[/tex]

I am looking for the rigorous proof, not the binomial theory.

Perhaps as a series ?

Roger

roger said:

Perhaps as a series ?

Roger
Use the natural logarithm to turn exponents into products.

hypermorphism said:
Use the natural logarithm to turn exponents into products.

This would mean assuming a less "obvious" result. I suppose the way this could be done would go something like this :

[tex]f(x) = x^n = e^{n\ln x}[/tex]

[tex]f'(x) = (e^{n\ln x})(\frac{n}{x}) = nx^{n-1}[/tex]

To me this is using a more advanced result to prove a less advanced one.

Instead, consider using the general Binomial expansion (which holds for all complex exponents) to prove the result. Please see the expansion in my post below to work out the details.

Last edited:
Curious3141 said:
You can prove it for positive integral n using the Binomial Theorem.

Hint : consider [tex](x + \delta x)^n - x^n[/tex]

So, as I understand it, you'd do this expansion inside the limit (from the definition of a derivative) in order to be as rigorous as possible, right?

cepheid said:
So, as I understand it, you'd do this expansion inside the limit (from the definition of a derivative) in order to be as rigorous as possible, right?

I just edited my post, please read it. It took me a while to work out the LaTex, that's really harder than it should be. :smile:

Curious3141 said:
To me this is using a more advanced result to prove a less advanced one.

Instead, consider using the general Binomial expansion (which holds for all complex exponents) to prove the result. This is very easy and is a general result.

And what would that be?Is it the one which includes the Gamma Euler function??Please,enlighten us...

Would u say Gamma Euler is simpler than natural logarithms and exponentials??

Daniel.

the derivative of x^n means the coefficient of the linear part of the change in y, compared to the change in x. so we write x, as it changes, as x+dx, and then raise it to the nth power, getting (x+dx)^n = x^n + n x^(n-1) dx
+ (n)(n-1)/2 x^(n-2)(dx)^2 +...

so we see that the linear part of this change in x, i.e. linear in dx, is n x^(n-1)dx. Thus the coefficient is n x^(n-1).

much of the discussion here so far has seemed ludicrous to me. so maybe this will seem so to you.

dextercioby said:
And what would that be?Is it the one which includes the Gamma Euler function??Please,enlighten us...

Would u say Gamma Euler is simpler than natural logarithms and exponentials??

Daniel.
Actually, it's not as difficult as you make out.

The binomial expansion of (1 + x)^n for any complex n and |x| < 1 is :

[tex](1 + x)^n = 1 + x + \frac{n(n-1)}{2!}x^2 + \frac{n(n-1)(n-2)}{3!}x^3 + ...[/tex]

is it not ?

Doesn't involve gamma functions now does it ? Where's the difficulty ?

It's fairly simple to work the rest out.

You're right.My formula is general.Yours does not cover real and complex exponents.

[tex] (1+x)^{n}= \sum_{k=0}^{+\infty} \frac{\Gamma(n+1)}{\Gamma(k+1)\Gamma(n-k+1)}x^{k} [/tex]

,for all complex "n",with:
[tex] |x|<1 [/tex]

Daniel.

Last edited:
dextercioby said:
You're right.My formula is general.Yours does not cover real and complex exponents.

[tex] (1+x)^{n}= \sum_{k=0} \frac{\Gamma(n+1)}{\Gamma(k+1)\Gamma(n-k+1)}x^{n-k} [/tex]

Daniel.

Actually it does. When you simplify the gamma functions, it comes out to the exact same thing. Try it. :-p

Hint : Let n = N + a, where N is an integer and a is the nonintegral portion between 0 and 1. Can you see where this is going ?

That would cover all real exponents. Complex exponents, I haven't tried yet.

Last edited:
Compare my formula with yours for "k=3" and "n=i+5".

I edited my previous post. :-p

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
Compare my formula with yours for "k=3" and "n=i+5".

I edited my previous post. :-p

Daniel.

I know for a fact that my formula covers all complex exponents. I can quite easily prove it for all reals at least, I just scribbled it out, do you want the proof ?

I asked you to see whether my formula and yours give the same values for "k=3" and "n=i+5".I didn't ask you for any proof...

Daniel.

P.S.There's no point in doing the calculation,because they don't... :-p

dextercioby said:
I asked you to see whether my formula and yours give the same values for "k=3" and "n=i+5".I didn't ask you for any proof...

Daniel.

P.S.There's no point in doing the calculation,because they don't... :-p

You are quite, quite wrong.

My way : coefficient of term with k = 3 is

[tex]\frac{(i + 5)(i + 4)(i + 3)}{3!}[/tex]

Your way :

[tex]\frac{\Gamma (i + 6)}{(\Gamma(4))(\Gamma(i + 3))} = \frac{(i + 5)(i + 4)(i + 3)(i + 2)(i + 1)(i)\Gamma(i)}{3!(i + 2)(i + 1)(i)(\Gamma(i))} = \frac{(i + 5)(i + 4)(i + 3)}{3!}[/tex]

Correct ?

Yeah,you're right,just because those gamma-s get symplified.But "area of a circle"? :-p

Daniel.

You can use the same principle of cancellation to prove it for all reals (with the method I suggested). I honestly don't know enough about the gamma functions of complex arguments to try and tackle the proof for all complex exponents.

U don't have to know anything about the complex variable Gamma Euler.
[tex] \Gamma(z+1)=z\Gamma(z) [/tex]

would be enough to prove that the Gamma ratio can be written:
[tex] \frac{\Gamma(z+1)}{\Gamma[(z-k)+1]}=\frac{\Gamma(z+1)}{\Gamma[(z+1)-k]}=(z+1-k)_{k}=(z+1-k)[(z+1-k)+1][(z+1-k)+2]...[(z+1-k)+(k-1)] [/tex]

,where i made use of a substitution and the definiton of the Pochhammer symbol.

Daniel.

P.S.It's better if u didn't put the Pochhammer symbol in the binomial expansion.Just leave it with the 3 gammas Euler.

Yes, that would work. :smile:

Alternatively,

[tex] \frac{\Gamma(z+1)}{\Gamma[(z-k)+1]} = \frac{z(z-1)(z-2)...(z-k+1)(z-k)\Gamma(z-k)}{(z-k)\Gamma(z-k)}[/tex]

which would give the same result.

Oh man...and the poor guy just wanted a proof of the power rule for differentiation. I think what Curious and Mathwonk said is good enough to answer that question.

cepheid said:
Oh man...and the poor guy just wanted a proof of the power rule for differentiation. I think what Curious and Mathwonk said is good enough to answer that question.

Well, he wanted a rigorous proof, all the preceding helps to establish that rigour. :smile:

cepheid said:

:smile: He should say "thank you" because,beside the proof for what he wanted,he got a pretty decent and rigurous treatment of the binomial formula.Sometimes it's useful to diverge from the original question.

Daniel.

roger said:

That is the rigorous proof.

thanks alot, everyone !

Roger

roger said:

Perhaps as a series ?

Roger

Why isn't using the binomial theorem rigorous? Since you didn't say anything about n, it would be natural to assume it is intended to be a positive integer.

Somewhat simpler than using the binomial theorem is to use the product rule and proof by induction:
if n= 1, xn= x and its derivative is 1= 1*x1-1 so the formula is correct for n= 1.
Assume that (xN)'= N xN-1 for specific N.

xN+1= x*xN so, by the product rule,
(xN+1)'= 1*xN+ x*NxN-1= xN+NxN= (N+1)xN

By induction then, (xn)'= nxn-1 for all n.
If you mean the derivative of xα where α can be any real number (other than -1), then logarithms.

Last edited by a moderator:
HallsofIvy said:
Somewhat simpler than using the binomial theorem is to use the product rule and proof by induction:
if n= 1, xn= x and its derivative is 1= 1*x1-1 so the formula is correct for n= 1.
Assume that (xN)'= N xN-1 for specific N.

xN+1= x*xN so, by the product rule,
(xN+1)'= 1*xN+ x*NxN-1= xN+NxN= (N+1)xN

By induction then, (xn)'= nxn-1 for all n.
If you mean the derivative of xα where α can be any real number (other than -1), then logarithms.

Why isn't using the binomial theorem rigorous? Since you didn't say anything about n, it would be natural to assume it is intended to be a positive integer.
Yes, I was assuming n to be a positive integer.

Why isn't the biomial theory rigorous ? because now I feel compelled to ask where the binomial theory derives from ?

Thanks for any input on the above.

Roger

The binomial theorem,
[tex](x+y)^n=\Sigma_{i=0}^n _nC_ix^iy^{n-i}[/tex]
is pretty basic algebra. I would expect anyone taking calculus to be familiar with it.

roger said:
Yes, I was assuming n to be a positive integer.
Why isn't the biomial theory rigorous ? because now I feel compelled to ask where the binomial theory derives from ?

It is rigurous,trust me...As soon as u use gamma Euler functions,it's as rigurous as any other mathematical result...

Archimedes and Newton did it.However,the generalization to complex numbers and exponents was done much later...

Daniel.

Related to What is the Proof of Differentiation for nx^n-1?

1. What is the proof of differentiation for nx^n-1?

The proof of differentiation for nx^n-1 is based on the power rule of differentiation, which states that the derivative of x^n is nx^(n-1). In this case, we have a coefficient of n, so we can simply apply the power rule to get n(nx^(n-1)).

2. Why is the power rule used in the proof of differentiation for nx^n-1?

The power rule is used because it is a fundamental rule in calculus that allows us to find the derivative of a function with an exponent. It is derived from the limit definition of a derivative and has been proven to be accurate for all polynomial functions.

3. How does the proof of differentiation for nx^n-1 differ from other differentiation proofs?

The proof of differentiation for nx^n-1 is similar to other differentiation proofs in that it uses the power rule. However, the main difference is that it involves a coefficient of n, which must be taken into account when applying the power rule. This can be done by simply multiplying the coefficient by the original exponent and subtracting 1 from the exponent.

4. Can the proof of differentiation for nx^n-1 be applied to all polynomial functions?

Yes, the proof of differentiation for nx^n-1 can be applied to all polynomial functions. This is because the power rule is a general rule that can be applied to any polynomial function, regardless of the degree or the presence of a coefficient. As long as the function is in the form of ax^n, where a is a constant and n is a positive integer, the power rule can be used to find the derivative.

5. Are there any limitations to the proof of differentiation for nx^n-1?

The proof of differentiation for nx^n-1 is limited to polynomial functions only. It cannot be applied to functions with irrational exponents, trigonometric functions, or other types of functions. Additionally, the power rule does not work for functions with negative exponents, so the proof of differentiation for nx^n-1 cannot be used in those cases.