Proof of Distributive Property of Vectors

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 5K views
B18
Messages
118
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Let u, and v be vectors in Rn, and let c be a scalar.
c(u+v)=cu+cv

The Attempt at a Solution


Proof:
Let u, v ERn, that is u=(ui)ni=1, and v=(vi)ni=1.
Therefore c(ui+vi)ni=1

At this point can I distribute the "c" into the parenthesis? For example:

=(cui+cvi)ni=1
=(cui)ni=1+(cvi)ni=1
=cu+cv.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
B18 said:

Homework Statement


Let u, and v be vectors in Rn, and let c be a scalar.
c(u+v)=cu+cv

The Attempt at a Solution


Proof:
Let u, v ERn, that is u=(ui)ni=1, and v=(vi)ni=1.
Therefore c(ui+vi)ni=1

At this point can I distribute the "c" into the parenthesis? For example:

=(cui+cvi)ni=1
=(cui)ni=1+(cvi)ni=1
=cu+cv.

Sure you can. You know you can distribute over real numbers. The components of vectors in ##R^n## are just real numbers.
 
Ok I figured. So everything looks in order here? Just was expecting it to be a little more involved!
 
B18 said:
Ok I figured. So everything looks in order here? Just was expecting it to be a little more involved!

No, it's not more involved. This is an easy one.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: B18